PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video card upgrade creates load issue

daeos
December 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I recently upgraded my video card from an ATI x700 to an ATI 4650HD. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and after picking how ubuntu will boot (boot loader options) I can see the Ubuntu loading bar, but after the loading bar is done, I then see the black background component loading screen which ends up with (eventually) attempting to bring up gdm. I normally expect the gdm login screen to showup but instead my screen is black with what looks to be a video display out of range as the colors and lines of pixes are streched out looking. Is there a way I can bypass anything that is loading before gdm starts? Or is there a way I can exit to a console in order to fix any of this? Any ideas are a help.

daeos
December 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Any have an idea of what I can do? I'm not about to switch back to my old video card, it had a gpu fan issue. How can I stop gdm from launching or how can I quit gdm once its at the login screen with the messed up resolution? I am not even sure if its responding to keyboard commands.

daeos
December 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
It might also help to add that I am using the proprietary drivers within gdm and this might have created an issue with the newer video card I have.