PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VNC Server failed to create gui on Fat X cursor on blank Screen

indigoseth
December 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hi, vnc4server, and tightvncserver issues.

I am somewhat new to Ubuntu. I have run a basic server for a while, but never really dipped into VNC.

the problem i am having is when i go run vnc4server it starts up what i would think to be a valid session on server name:1. however, when i connect all i see is white screen with a bunch of black dots on it with a nice fat X as my cursor.

I have dug everywhere i can, and have found nothing on how to fix this issue.

I have remote desktop working but its to slow for my tastes. I have used vnc before on other Linux boxes and its nice and speedy.

I am very frustrated with vnc.. i can't image that all vnc is not working on Ubuntu 8.04.

I have tried reinstalling the packages, down to modifying the Xstartup to reflect my gnome-session i want to run.

if anyone can give me a good walk through with solid steps on how to configure my system so i can use vnc instead of remote desktop i would greatly appreciate it.

I have modified quite a few files as well trying to get things working so i am not sure what are the right settings for starting up or what needs to be set to what to get things working..

I really hope someone out there knows how to fix this

Thanks! in advance

Indigo

indigoseth
December 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
plz someone help me figure this out, otherwise i am looking at reinstalling the os, and i don't want to do that. I heard that you can install the older edgy version, but i don't know how to do this.

Thx

indigoseth
December 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
bumping Need someone to help plz.. driving me crazy!

txba497
January 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm having the same problem... Any suggestions?