PDA

View Full Version : Richard M. Stallman lecture in Ogg Theora

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I'm currently seeding my 5 copy of this wonderful Richard Stallman lecture given in Mayalsia. I urge you to download and watch it.

http://static.thepiratebay.org/downloadtorrent/3448901.torrent/Richard_M_Stallman_(_RMS_)_visit_to_KL__Malaysia_2 006.3448901.TPB.torrent

mostwanted
February 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
What kind of file is a TPB?

Also, I'm getting timeouts trying to connect to that seed using the torrent program that comes with Ubuntu (Dapper version) =/

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
it indicates that the torrent is using the pirate bay tracker

wmcbrine
February 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
TPB stands for "The Pirate Bay" (the torrent tracker site). Haven't checked this one, but ISTR that they distribute their torrents as directories; as a result, you won't see the file extension.

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
As stated in the topic, the files are in the free Ogg Theora video format. All of RMS' speeches are distributed in free formats only ensuring YOUR freedom is protected.

K.Mandla
February 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I'm getting a timeout message - unable to connect to tracker. Do you have a link to the torrent page?

xequence
February 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM
TPB has been having troubles recently. None of the torrents ive used could be able to connect to it...

I think they are fundraising to get it fixed though.

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM
http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3448901

give it a bit of time, the tracker is a little erratic at times - it is the worlds most active afterall.

"Bless you my child"

K.Mandla
February 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Cheers!

ADDED: I think the problem is with Pirate Bay. I can't even get to their home page. I'll try later. :)

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Okay to stop further private messages, this isn't my torrent, I merely spend my bandwidth sharing this excellent ~3 hour lecture because I feel you should have the option of hearing it.

I can't move it to another tracker, I'm sorry you'll have to bare with the swedish tracker and it's instabilities. It's a rather large file so mirroring it isn't an option for me.

mostwanted
February 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
As stated in the topic, the files are in the free Ogg Theora video format. All of RMS' speeches are distributed in free formats only ensuring YOUR freedom is protected.

Oh right. I read the title as Stallman lecture on Ogg Theora :)

BWF89
February 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I heard that one time someone was streaming interviewing him and when they told him it was being broadcast in Real format he put his coat over the webcam.

Lovechild
February 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I heard that one time someone was streaming interviewing him and when they told him it was being broadcast in Real format he put his coat over the webcam.

Actually he asked for the webcam to be turned off and explained why a gratis client wasn't enough. Then pointed out that in the contract they signed to have him speak he explictedly mentions that only free formats can be used to distribute his lectures.

DigitalDuality
February 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I hate torrent clients who need seperate windows for every install, but azureus sucks my nether regions and will never connect to anything and just got me kicked off a private torrent site...

anyways.. i can't get this to download with any client.

Virogenesis
February 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM
working great here with freeloader

50k down
30k up

mostwanted
February 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Please seed! :-|

skirkpatrick
February 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I've been perfectly happy with Azureus. Only 3 seeds and 1 peer right now.

mostwanted
February 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Everyone who has this torrent please seed if possible. I'm trying to redistribute it.

Brunellus
February 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
somewhat OT, but it's a bit unnerving that I posted this on /. today and was modded "insightful":

http://politics.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=178766&cid=14817778