PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna get a cheap (but still awesome!) Android phone!

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yuppers! I've decided! I want one, they're just too brilliant now to pass up!

I am wondering if I should get the T-Mobile Pulse ( http://bit.ly/5KGwB4, it's actually the Huawei U8220 apparently! ) or the HTC Droid Eris, if available at all here in the UK ( http://bit.ly/4DzOj4 ), so this was partly to ask, but also just to express my happiness at getting an awesome Leeeenucks phone! Yay! I hope it's good :)

Hoppi :)

juancarlospaco
December 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Nice, i dont like too expensive phones, allways broke them...

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM
agreed the HTC Droid Eris is looking good to me.

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
eris.

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
weirdly the Eris is also cheaper I think! It might be a tad tricky to get here but I'll compare the specs sometime, they both look very good to me :)

And yeah juancarlospaco I agree, that's one reason I don't go for really pricey phones as well :)

gnomeuser
December 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
With any HTC Android phone right now, eagerly await the Android 2.1 upgrade they promised would be out soon. I believe most of their products are stuck on 1.5 right now. Personally I have the HTC Hero and it's so gawd awful slow at times, the Sense UI might be pretty but it gets sluggish rather quickly on that hardware.

Supposedly the 2.1 upgrade will help a lot with this.

That being said, looking at the hardware and the general look of the product the Eris looks like your best buy

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM
With any HTC Android phone right now, eagerly await the Android 2.1 upgrade they promised would be out soon. I believe most of their products are stuck on 1.5 right now. Personally I have the HTC Hero and it's so gawd awful slow at times, the Sense UI might be pretty but it gets sluggish rather quickly on that hardware.

Supposedly the 2.1 upgrade will help a lot with this.

That being said, looking at the hardware and the general look of the product the Eris looks like your best buy

Ah so, it all automatically updates etc?

Additionally like... how does the power of it compare with desktop Linux? I know it won't be quite the same but I guess I also just wanted the best mobile Linux/open source experience possible, and Android seems to offer that currently! Thanks for the replies and advice! :)

BenAshton24
December 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM
The Eris looks good :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulH7oWTnVFI

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
The Eris looks good :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulH7oWTnVFI

It does, but I was wrong... so very wrong :shock: :cry:

lol

In FACT, the Droid Eris is a fancy-pants super cool rebranded HTC Hero with extra awesome, and as such COMPLETELY out of my price limit! lol

I misinterpreted the $99 with contract price tag as I think I first read it on my mobile, and thought it meant that was the pay as you go price (as the Pulse is quite cheap at maybe £135 pay as you go.

So yaaahhh the Droid Eris is something mad like $460!!

Looks like I'm gettin' a Pulse! On the plus side, the Pulse looks pretty sweet too and is outstanding for the price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c2oRdn3YVc

Obviously not as powerful and stuff as the more expensive Android phones but then I mean, I'm not THAT huge on phones so as to want something ground-breaking, I'm just excited to have Android! ^_^

It's got good reviews too!

starcannon
December 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I just bought a G1, it comes with Android 1.5; after researching, and thinking on it, I have no regrets, and the phone isn't even here yet. I think it will be a fantastic phone. It really comes down to what one needs the device to do; I will admit though, if they get 2.0 to working well on a G1, I certainly wouldn't complain :)

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I just bought a G1, it comes with Android 1.5; after researching, and thinking on it, I have no regrets, and the phone isn't even here yet. I think it will be a fantastic phone. It really comes down to what one needs the device to do; I will admit though, if they get 2.0 to working well on a G1, I certainly wouldn't complain :)

So... let's say I grab this rather nifty unlocked T-Mobile Pulse. Will Android auto-update? o.O

Apparently it comes with 1.5 (which is called Cupcake! hehe :) ) *easily amused*

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I just bought a G1, it comes with Android 1.5; after researching, and thinking on it, I have no regrets, and the phone isn't even here yet. I think it will be a fantastic phone. It really comes down to what one needs the device to do; I will admit though, if they get 2.0 to working well on a G1, I certainly wouldn't complain :)I met a rather attractive girl at a Science-related picnic not too long ago who caught me staring at her G1, much to my delight she let me play with it a bit and I liked it very much. She made a point that I hadn't thought of before she stated; "I could never use a phone that didn't have an actual keyboard". This is what makes the Motorola Droid look so damn Sexy!...this memory is seared into my brain to say the least.

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I met a rather attractive girl at a Science-related picnic not too long ago who caught me staring at her G1, much to my delight she let me play with it a bit and I liked it very much. She made a point that I hadn't thought of before she stated; "I could never use a phone that didn't have an actual keyboard". This is what makes the Motorola Droid look so damn Sexy!...this memory is seared into my brain to say the least.

lol so THAT'S what you crazy kids get up to on your "science picnics"! hehe

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
lol so THAT'S what you crazy kids get up to on your "science picnics"! heheYeah, I'll never pass up the opportunity for another Science Picnic!

Elfy
December 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
lol so THAT'S what you crazy kids get up to on your "science picnics"! hehe

:lol: unfortunately all I saw was ...

"I could never use a phone that didn't have an actual keyboard".

I fear for humanity, phones with dials were just so much more peaceful :)

BenAshton24
December 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
It does, but I was wrong... so very wrong :shock: :cry:

lol

In FACT, the Droid Eris is a fancy-pants super cool rebranded HTC Hero with extra awesome, and as such COMPLETELY out of my price limit! lol

I misinterpreted the $99 with contract price tag as I think I first read it on my mobile, and thought it meant that was the pay as you go price (as the Pulse is quite cheap at maybe £135 pay as you go.

So yaaahhh the Droid Eris is something mad like $460!!

Looks like I'm gettin' a Pulse! On the plus side, the Pulse looks pretty sweet too and is outstanding for the price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c2oRdn3YVc

Obviously not as powerful and stuff as the more expensive Android phones but then I mean, I'm not THAT huge on phones so as to want something ground-breaking, I'm just excited to have Android! ^_^

It's got good reviews too!

lol, I was wondering how you were defining "cheap" when I saw the price of the eris :P

I have a HTC Touch which I've had for just over a year and it still costs exactly the same as it did when I bought it (http://url.co.uk/fab9w)

Mehall
December 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Typing this on a pulse right now.

It's a good phone, but t-mobile drag their feet with android updates for all phones.

herbertportillo
December 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have a Samsung Moment. I got it about two months ago, and it has Android 1.5 but Sprint is going to upgrade it (and the HTC Hero) to Flan sometime in the first half of 2010.

I love the Samsung Moment. It's great. I chose it over the Hero because I didn't want a custom UI on Android made by a private company. I just wanted the standard Android UI and that's what the Moment uses, and it's fast and snappy. I also chose it over the Hero because it has a physical keyboard, and the physical keyboard makes texting and typing URLs waaaay easier. The only thing that sucks about the Moment is the battery life. I can drain it in about three hours, and that's just browsing the internet, listening to music, not particularly demanding tasks. But I hope that battery life will improve with the 2.1 upgrade.

Anyways, it's a pretty sweet phone. Take a look at it and see if you like it. Cheers.

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM
...and the physical keyboard makes texting and typing URLs waaaay easier.

How does it make it easier? Does the virtual k/b not go into landscape mode?

hoppipolla
December 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
lol, I was wondering how you were defining "cheap" when I saw the price of the eris :P

I have a HTC Touch which I've had for just over a year and it still costs exactly the same as it did when I bought it (http://url.co.uk/fab9w)

The Touch is an awesome phone, I had one for a while but I actually sold it mainly because at the time I needed the cash, and Windows Mobile was a bit... business-oriented... for my needs, if that makes sense! I am a KDE user - I like flashy, fun and friendly interfaces with lots of nice effects! hehe :)

Erm, but yeah I am considering grabbing a Touch and bunging Android on it... does anyone know how that is likely to turn out? :o

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
The Touch is an awesome phone, I had one for a while but I actually sold it mainly because at the time I needed the cash, and Windows Mobile was a bit... business-oriented... for my needs, if that makes sense! I am a KDE user - I like flashy, fun and friendly interfaces with lots of nice effects! hehe :)

Erm, but yeah I am considering grabbing a Touch and bunging Android on it... does anyone know how that is likely to turn out? :o
should be great.

Pixel
December 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Yuppers! I've decided! I want one, they're just too brilliant now to pass up!

I am wondering if I should get the T-Mobile Pulse ( http://bit.ly/5KGwB4, it's actually the Huawei U8220 apparently! ) or the HTC Droid Eris, if available at all here in the UK ( http://bit.ly/4DzOj4 ), so this was partly to ask, but also just to express my happiness at getting an awesome Leeeenucks phone! Yay! I hope it's good :)

Hoppi :)

Nice, I ended up buying a used (but still practically brand) G1 off of craigslist last month. I already had a data plan from my last phone and I didn't have to extend my contract or anything liek that either. I love it to death, I don't think i'll ever be able to go back to just having a normal phone again.

hoppipolla
December 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Nice, I ended up buying a used (but still practically brand) G1 off of craigslist last month. I already had a data plan from my last phone and I didn't have to extend my contract or anything liek that either. I love it to death, I don't think i'll ever be able to go back to just having a normal phone again.

haha I'm glad they're so good! It's such a huge step up (for lots of peeps like us especially!) after just having the choice between Windows Mobile, iPhone OS (whatever that is...) and quite shakey versions of mobile Linux!

I am looking forward to this little technological misadventure! hehe!

But... yeah more info on the HTC Touch thing would be coolies so if anyone knows anything pls inform me! ^_^

xuCGC002
December 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have a G1 running a Cyanogen modded 1.7. And it's fantastic, with the exception of Youtube videos displaying an error saying "This video cannot be played" with the whole video running in the background.

stuart.reinke
December 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I wish i could get a linux powered phone. My carrier only has WinMo and BlackBerry. I opted for the BlackBerry. I'm excited none the less. Should be here by the end of the week. I'm happy for and jelous of you Hoppi. :)

herbertportillo
January 3rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
How does it make it easier? Does the virtual k/b not go into landscape mode?

On the Moment, it does go into landscape mode when the phone is tilted sideways. The only problem is that the graphical keyboard in landscape mode takes up the entire screen, whereas if one is holding the phone regularly, the graphical keyboard takes up only part of the screen. But, the graphical keyboard lags severely when it's in landscape mode. That's why I always use the physical keyboard. There is no lag with the physical keyboard.

kevdog
January 3rd, 2010, 04:22 AM
Ive got a droid, but am somewhat jealous of the various mods out for the G1 systems. 2.1 is about to be released (This is the version that is going to be on the Nexus). I tried out the pre-release version on the Droid and although it was slightly sexier, I can't say it gave really any increased functionality.

The apps are really Java Based rather than true linux.

And BTW -- I know you are going to go ahead and root the phone once its purchased and you will start installing custom mods. If you want to know what you can do, I would start looking at the custom mod sites since these give you a better idea what you can do.

And always do a nandroid backup before tinkering on the phone. It will save you ***** if you do something stupid.

hoppipolla
January 3rd, 2010, 05:39 AM
Ive got a droid, but am somewhat jealous of the various mods out for the G1 systems. 2.1 is about to be released (This is the version that is going to be on the Nexus). I tried out the pre-release version on the Droid and although it was slightly sexier, I can't say it gave really any increased functionality.

The apps are really Java Based rather than true linux.

And BTW -- I know you are going to go ahead and root the phone once its purchased and you will start installing custom mods. If you want to know what you can do, I would start looking at the custom mod sites since these give you a better idea what you can do.

And always do a nandroid backup before tinkering on the phone. It will save you ***** if you do something stupid.

I'm actually still debating getting one or not, but my housemate has ordered a G1. I think I'll see what it's like and go from there :)