PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I'm puzzled about how to auto restart using cron

ptviperz
December 29th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I'm trying to automatically restart my computer everyday at 5 in the morning. I've tried the following in /etc/crontab

* 5 * * * root /sbin/shutdown -r now
* 5 * * * shutdown -r now

and tried a script....script runs fine but it won't run from cron

* 5 * * * root /home/brent/reboot.sh

The only error I've gotten in /var/log/syslog is something about 'Bad minute' but nothing is actually wrong with the entry. Everything else in cron works fine. ex:

*/5 * * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/remountpch.pl
*/5 * * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/sabcheck.sh
15 * * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/yamj.sh
0 */2 * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/backup/bkemail.sh
3 */2 * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/backup/bkpics2008.sh
45 4 * * * brent /home/brent/scripts/rebootpch.pl

Can anyone shed any light on why this isn't working? Thanks for your time.

falconindy
December 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Look in /var/log/crond for messages about cron.

Also, not that it matters in concept, but the timeframe '* 5 * * *' will match every minute of the 5th hour. Surely, you meant '0 5 * * *'.

ptviperz
December 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Look in /var/log/crond for messages about cron.

Also, not that it matters in concept, but the timeframe '* 5 * * *' will match every minute of the 5th hour. Surely, you meant '0 5 * * *'.

I also tried it like

15 5 * * *

and I don't have a /var/log/crond

brent@brent-desktop:~$ cat /var/log/crond
cat: /var/log/crond: No such file or directory

glubbdrubb
December 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM
It might be easier if you use a gui for cron like gnome-schedule or webmin.

Webmin is great for just this sought of thing thogh it is quite big because it does so much more.

gnome-schedule should be in the software centre but webmin will have to be downloaded form form their website http://www.webmin.com/ .

ptviperz
December 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
It might be easier if you use a gui for cron like gnome-schedule or webmin.

Webmin is great for just this sought of thing thogh it is quite big because it does so much more.

gnome-schedule should be in the software centre but webmin will have to be downloaded form form their website http://www.webmin.com/ .

I can try one of these but I'd really prefer just to throw a simple command in cron since I don't need any of the other capabilities of those programs. Is it really that difficult to do in cron? I can't be the only one who wants to reset the computer at a certain time

glubbdrubb
December 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Well, it is confusing enough with a gui, so doing it in text is not going to be any easier. But if you figure out the correct formatting then good on you. Try the cron man pages if you have not already, by typing

man cron
into a terminal.

Take a look at gnome schedule. It uses cron as the back end and is small and light so don't worry about being overrun with features.

b0b138
December 30th, 2009, 07:33 AM
shutdown needs to run as root, so you need put it in roots crontab

sudo crontab -e
and add
01 05 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

ptviperz
January 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
shutdown needs to run as root, so you need put it in roots crontab

sudo crontab -e
and add
01 05 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

I've been running in root's cron the whole time but it wasn't working correctly until I set the time as

01 05 * * *

instead of

1 5 * * *

Thanks for the solution though I don't see much of a difference between the statements.

lotharmat
January 7th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I've been running in root's cron the whole time but it wasn't working correctly until I set the time as

01 05 * * *

instead of

1 5 * * *

Thanks for the solution though I don't see much of a difference between the statements.

Computers are pernickety blighters!!