PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] 'alternate cd' installs dual-boot by default/on request

southof40
December 29th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Hi - I've downloaded a Xubuntu 'alternate install CD' ISO.

I want to use it on a laptop which already has Windows 2000 installed on it.

As I work through the installation prompts (which I've started doing !) is it going to ask me whether I want a dual-boot installation or do I need to do something before I start using the installation procedure ?

thanks

R.

raymondh
December 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hi - I've downloaded a Xubuntu 'alternate install CD' ISO.

I want to use it on a laptop which already has Windows 2000 installed on it.

As I work through the installation prompts (which I've started doing !) is it going to ask me whether I want a dual-boot installation or do I need to do something before I start using the installation procedure ?

thanks

R.

It will.

I, however, prefer to create the partitions beforehand and then install unto them.

Have fun. Make sure you defrag windows. TWICE, if you have the time. Also, have a working/tested back-up of your files.

southof40
December 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM
It will.

I, however, prefer to create the partitions beforehand and then install unto them.

Have fun. Make sure you defrag windows. TWICE, if you have the time. Also, have a working/tested back-up of your files.
Thanks Raymond. What is your favoured tool for creating the partitions ?

raymondh
December 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks Raymond. What is your favoured tool for creating the partitions ?

I like gparted. I use a live gparted CD.... preferring to use that instead of the gparted in the liveCD.

lisati
December 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM
It will.

And you might also want to clean out your %temp% folder (http://lisati.myftp.org/ssc32) as well before doing the defrag.

raymondh
December 29th, 2009, 04:49 AM
And you might also want to clean out your %temp% folder (http://lisati.myftp.org/ssc32) as well before doing the defrag.

Nice program Lisati. Bookmarked for later use/experimentation ;)

I use something called CCleaner. Are they similar?

Regards,

lisati
December 29th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Nice program Lisati. Bookmarked for later use/experimentation ;)

I use something called CCleaner. Are they similar?

Regards,

I don't know CCleaner, the one on my website is one I made myself using a copy of Borland's C++ Builder I picked up on a magazine disk about 10 years ago. I'd make the source available but unfortunately it's long lost.