PDA

View Full Version : Free Ubuntu CDs 'for a limited time'?

K.Mandla
February 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake, but did the download page always say this?

Ubuntu Linux is easy to download. You can download a CD image and burn it yourself using a CD writer, or order a pressed CD from us. For a limited time we will send CDs to you at no cost, too.
Somehow, I don't remember the phrase, "for a limited time". Of course, I've been wrong before. :confused:

welsh_spud
February 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I've noticed this too. Seems strange to me.

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Funds don't last forever.

If Mark Shuttleworth would rather spend resources keeping the OS itself free, does it matter if they no longer ship for free?

bonzodog
February 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I don't recall seeing that before...maybe they are going to start charging for CD's from dapper onwards? In which case, I won't order anything as it is impossible for me to buy things on the net.

DigitalDuality
February 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
For those who want the ShipIt cds to last as long as possible...

I'd suggest, if you have the capability, download the ISO and burn it yourself. Those ShipIt cds IMO should be for those who don't have the luxury of doing it themselves.

K.Mandla
February 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised. I'd be sad to think I couldn't order the professional CDs for free, but to be honest, given that the price was right, I'd probably buy bulk and still give them away.

GreyFox503
February 26th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It's just like Apple engravings on iPods. When I was shopping for one a couple years ago, they had "free engraving for a limited time!" for maybe three months, and as soon as it was up, they would just change the date to three months in the future.

I suppose that means that Canonical can stop the ship-it service at any time, because it's for a limited time. Their resources are finite, especially if Ubuntu becomes very popular for some reason and tons of CDs are ordered.

christhemonkey
February 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Yes, i suppose they dont have infinite resources, so we should all get as many as we can now! : P

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Yes, i suppose they dont have infinite resources, so we should all get as many as we can now! : P ... or not get them so that the "limited time" is a bit longer for those who really need it.

Does : P mean "I'm just kidding"?

christhemonkey
February 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
(Yes)
((because i dont really need any more CDs, i ordered my 1 to get my system working and now a pack of three 2 give out, but many more would be greedy))

Adrian
February 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Well, it was there in November 2004 :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20041128005831/www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

K.Mandla
February 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Well, it was there in November 2004

Whew! Well that's good. I was worried for a little bit. But if it's been there forever, I'm not going to sweat it.

By the way, I love your avatar.

commodore
February 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
On an Estonian forum there's a thread about Ubuntu. Anyone says how they order from tens to hundreds of CDs. Some of them play with them, one of them decorated his house with them and the rest say **** about Linux in other threads. I don't think the shipit idea was perfect in the first place. If someone really wants Ubuntu, but he can't download it he could send an application or something to Ubuntu.

GreyFox503
February 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM
If they want that many CDs, they should just sign up for and cancel an AOL subscription...

And they'll win a lifetime supply. :)

Kernel Sanders
February 28th, 2006, 12:48 AM
On an Estonian forum there's a thread about Ubuntu. Anyone says how they order from tens to hundreds of CDs. Some of them play with them, one of them decorated his house with them and the rest say **** about Linux in other threads. I don't think the shipit idea was perfect in the first place. If someone really wants Ubuntu, but he can't download it he could send an application or something to Ubuntu.

Thats terrible! :twisted:

I dont understand why it isnt 1 CD per address, every time a new version comes out?

Pretty much EVERYBODY has a DVD/CD burner these days, once you have an original, COPY IT as many times as you want?

BWF89
February 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM
i ordered my 1 to get my system working and now a pack of three 2 give out, but many more would be greedy))

I dont understand why it isnt 1 CD per address, every time a new version comes out?
Ordering 1 cd is a waste of Canonical's resources. Remember that they are shipping you those cd's from Switzerland so if you live in the USA like me it probably takes a fair amount of money to ship it a few thousand miles. You should atleast order enough to balance out the price of shipping and handeling.

K.Mandla
February 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Well if that's the case, then I'm more than willing to pay a modest price for CDs. Sad to think of all those 56k'ers who might not get their prepressed CD because someone is using it as a shaving mirror.

ubuntu27
February 28th, 2006, 06:03 AM
OMG!! Now how will I send CDs to my SOuthAmerican friends? [that 75& of those comp dosn't have a CD-ROM/RW drive never mind CD Burner]
And furthermore they have a really low Internet conection

><;

D*^ those who exploited ShiptIt :evil: :(

jamyskis
March 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I originally downloaded and burnt the DVD edition of 5.10 when it first came out, but I still ordered 15 CDs just to proselytise. The problem is what to do when a new version comes out. Then you might as well decorate your house with them. Anyone know what I could do with 6 old 5.04 CDs?

Sirin
March 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
This is nothing new. This message was here when they were still shipping Hoary. I remember it. ;)

christhemonkey
March 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
I meant 1 pack of CDs!(i dont have a CD burner and had 56K at the time)
It is pretty bad that people are explioting this great free service.

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
I meant 1 pack of CDs!(i dont have a CD burner and had 56K at the time)
It is pretty bad that people are explioting this great free service.

If it's a minority it's not a problem.

But on the other hand it is our donations that are wasted...