PDA

View Full Version : alternative to visual studio

Arekun
December 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
i was wondering if anyone knows of any development program with a similar interface as visual studio or sharp develop. im learning visual studio on the school PCs but i want to be able to work on it at home with ubuntu.

nmccrina
December 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Eclipse and Netbeans are two common ones. Though originally written in and for Java, they have plugins to handle just about any language.

Code::Blocks, which I've never used, is supposed to be a good C++ IDE.

TBH, I just use Vim and the CLI to do everything. I like being able to interact directly with the compiler and debugger, instead of hitting a random "start [without] debugging" button.

BenAshton24
December 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
i was wondering if anyone knows of any development program with a similar interface as visual studio or sharp develop. im learning visual studio on the school PCs but i want to be able to work on it at home with ubuntu.

What programming language are you learning? The chances are that you will not be able to compile your programs on Ubuntu since they will most likely be windows specific. You could try running VS under wine although it will be very restrictive... http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892

phrostbyte
December 29th, 2009, 02:25 AM
MonoDevelop (apt:monodevelop,mono-devel)