PDA

View Full Version : I will install windows when...

legolas_w
December 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I thought we create a thread and discuss under which circumstances we may install windows and login into its desktop.

For me, when Starcraft II get released I will install a windows (probably my old XP) to play Starcraft. I can not imagine not playing that game when released.

Thanks for participating in this thread.

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
when parents scream at us because they cannot live without windows and cannot work on anything else....:lolflag:

Danimoth
December 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have been tired of waiting for starcraft 2 :/. I enjoyed sc1 a lot (A LOT) and for a long time, but the sequel is taking too long. I have shifted to Heroes of Newerth.

I expect, however, that when sc2 actually comes out, i will suddenly forget everything and jump right to it. So yeah, i will boot my windows PC for that ;).

CharlesA
December 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm using Windows 90% of the time, since I play games, and I don't want to run them thru wine.

If I get a laptop, it's going to get Ubuntu put on it tho.

LowSky
December 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I will use Windows whenever I feel like it. Ubuntu is my priary OS, but Windows is still used requently.

tad1073
December 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I am dual booting W7 pro and Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1, I use W7 for university related stuff such as labs, papers etc.

alphaniner
December 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
...I get home from work, to finish watching the second season of Dexter on Netflix. Oh, wait, I already have it installed. Lucky me!

markinf
December 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I don't use windows. I play all my prop games on wine. And do all my stuff on linux, even if I have to make workarounds.

Oh yes, I don't touch a comp with windows for about 1 year and a half. :D Even at work

Cam42
December 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I will install windows when...

I buy my new Dell Vostro V13 with Windows 7. Dual booting with Ubuntu, of course.

wheredidrealitygo
December 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
... Diablo III comes out, and only if the specs are too high for my Macbook. (there was an OS X version of Diablo II, logical to assume there'll be another of Diablo III)

ctrlmd
December 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm dual booting ubuntu / windows 7 and i like everything on it
so i'll install windows when something like windows 7 or better available to use :P
being Linux user doesn't mean stop using any useful operating system.

sandyd
December 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
i go to university next year. (they have wifi, but i havent figured out how to setup the security stuff....)

which reminds me, i have to go on ebay or somewhere and find an OEM copy of windows 7.

MooPi
December 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
which reminds me, i have to go on ebay or somewhere and find an OEM copy of windows 7.

Newegg carlee, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754
I personally will stick with Microsofts dinosaur XP until it dies on my gaming rig.

Ms_Angel_D
December 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'm hoping the same success that Guild Wars has had in wine will also happen with Guild Wars 2 when it comes out Next November, else I might be forced to do a dual boot.

ticopelp
December 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
No plans to ever install Windows again if I can possibly help it.

RiceMonster
December 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Already dual boot with windows 7. I use it when I feel like it.

cascade9
December 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I will install windows when people pay me to do so (and it does happen :D ).

FinalCoyote
December 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Sadly i have to use windows, since there are no DJ / Digital Vinyl System compatible programs on linux.

Or at least, reliable ones that would hold up live, or know what turntables are.

Still, one can hope.

markp1989
December 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
i installed xp when my home course required that i login from a windows bassed machine ...even though its all web based.

Zoot7
December 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've already got Windows on both my machines, 7 and XP on my desktop and XP on my laptop.

I'm using Windows 90% of the time, since I play games, and I don't want to run them thru wine.
Ditto on my desktop. My uses being games, home recording, and some engineering applications I need for day to day work. I do have Debian Lenny along with Ubuntu and openSUSE on it aswell.

My laptop however, boots Slackware (for fun), Ubuntu, and XP for odd time that I need it.

Tristam Green
December 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I will install Ubuntu again when they get their stuff straight, and have more support for ATI graphics.

fancypiper
December 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
:confused: some company/someone buys or gives me a legal copy to try, possibly?. I can't think of any reason to break an old gambling rule of mine, don't throw good money after bad and I see no need to re-install Windows XP.

I'm retired/disabled, so I have no workplace or school related needs that I can foresee in my future that would force me to re-install Windows. Linux fills my needs and pocketbook nicely, thank you very much.

bluebyt
December 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I am thinking about installing Windows XP on my old computer (P4 1.7Ghz) because it doesn't handle video playback very well under linux.

See this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1365338

azangru
December 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
...when hell freezes over.

What, nobody suggested that?

darthmob
December 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
i go to university next year. (they have wifi, but i havent figured out how to setup the security stuff....)

which reminds me, i have to go on ebay or somewhere and find an OEM copy of windows 7.You should check if your university is part of the MSDNAA program. You may get Windows for free there. :)

Jay Car
December 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
It took time and effort to finally free my computers from Microsoft products. I had to learn new ways of doing my work (I'm an illustrator) after many years of using Adobes. I learned to use Gimp, though I'm still not as adept with it as I'd wish. Inkscape is awesome, Scribus is also very nice, but relearning how to do everything on new software took effort and determination.

I only have one older machine left, now, that still dual-boots XP with Ubuntu, but it's rarely used. If anything happens to that machine I'll just consider Windows gone for good...no reinstall. As in Never. I didn't spend all that time and effort to get free of it, just to go back.

With that said, I WILL install Windows again when Bill Gates, along with his sidekick, Steve, both donate several million (no strings attached) dollars to Free Software, publically apologize for every rotten thing Microsoft has ever done (ODF, OLPC, SCO, and the recent silliness with Murdock, come to mind), diligently campaign for the abolishment of software patents, all while wearing pink tutus and dancing a jig to RMS singing the Free Software song...

Ok, I'd guess that still means never. :)

Genius314
December 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
...when hell freezes over.

What, nobody suggested that?

I was thinking that. Then I remembered that I'm currently using Windows.
I'll stop as soon as the music programs I use (FL Studio, Ableton Live, etc) work in Wine. It's annoying to dual-boot, having to switch back and forth between two half-functional systems.

SIGTERMer
December 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
.. i start drinking bird milk

gsmanners
December 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Does anyone willingly install Windows?

I would install Windows and use it exclusively if it was on my own terms and completely compiled from source by myself.

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Does anyone willingly install Windows?

Yes, I do.

yester64
December 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM
i want to see the blue screen of death...

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
i want to see the blue screen of death...

hilarious! :rolleyes:

Eisenwinter
December 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
hilarious! :rolleyes:
Sure was

hessiess
December 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
When Microsoft breaks backwards compatibility and throws out all of the useless legacy garbage, gets rid of the `drive' based storage management in favour of a single tree one (makes splitting file systems across multiple disks/partitions a LOT easier) and includes a descent centralised package management system.