PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 sometimes slows down, then freezes when nautilus is used

Jenda
December 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hi.

I am using Ubuntu 9.10, and I run a lot of applications at once. The ones that are always present are Azureus, Firefox, Thunderbird, Virualbox (running Windows XP and MSO 2007), OpenOffice quicklauncher, Tomboy and irssi. I have the system monitor applet on the panel, and check it regularly, so I know there are no other performance issues.

Sometimes, when I copy files (either to a USB device or by FTP) with nautilus, the I/O color of the applet fills it entirely. When this happens, the system becomes choppy and barely usable. Sometimes, this passes after about 20-30 minutes, but usually it doesn't, and I often can't afford to wait that long. At other times, it just freezes entirely and doesn't respond to anything (sometimes with the exception of switching to console via Ctrl+Alt+F1 VERY slowly, but even there, I can hardly type in a command after a while).

Could this be caused by an aging hard drive? (The lappy is 2years old). What are the other possible causes for this?

HolidayQueen
December 29th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I can testify to this. and the problem is not hardrives, as mine are brand new 1TB's. The problem ONLY occurs when transferring data to USB devices (pendrives, mp3 players) where the transfer rate countinually slows and your system along with it. VERY annoying.

It's much quicker and easier to transfer my stuff to my windows partition, then reboot in there and transfer to my mp3/pendrive.

It's a sad state of affairs when windows becomes the more reliable system. such was not the case when i switched 3 years ago.

Jenda
December 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hm, that's odd. At least I don't have to buy a new computer - I grew quite used to this one for work, it's not particularly good in anything, but well balanced.

It would be nice to have this fixed - I don't like depending on autorecovery to save my work every time.