PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 64 bit

plaknas
December 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hi,

I have a new laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled on it and my hard disk is a dynamic disk now so all my volumes are simple volumes. Is there a possibility of a full install of Ubuntu? I mean, without any problems. I have read cases of it being impossible and some cases where it wrecked the windows installation as well.

I have tried the wubi installation from the CDs of both 9.10 and 9.04 but looks like they are both 32bit compatible only. So I suppose the only way is to download wubi.exe and let it do its download?

I am hopeful about the wubi installation because the full install doesn't seem like a possibility now that I have dynamic disks. I plan to use RAID and striped volumes so I do not want to switch back to basic disks even if that is an option.

Thanks.

sliketymo
December 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Try downloading the 64 bit version.You can find them at the same place you find the 32.

xx58
December 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes: Download 64 bit or order 64 bit disk.

plaknas
December 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I downloaded wubi and it automatically starts the download of the 64 bit version. It gets upto a point and then says Permission denied. I can select any volume on my hard disk right?

sliketymo
December 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Not sure what your asking,but check here for more info on your project :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035999&highlight=Dual-Boot+Windows7%2FUbuntu

plaknas
December 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys but that isn't what I asked. I was looking for a way to get wubi working.

I created a Volume in windows for Ubuntu but it refuses to install in anything other than C, which has Windows. Any thoughts?

plaknas
December 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Ok. Wubi installs fine and once I restart it checks the installation and everything but it loads a Live Session for some reason. It doesn't load Ubuntu. And when I restart and select Ubuntu from the boot options, it goes through the installation process again and says that since already a .disk image has been created it cannot go any further. How do I fix this?

I cannot do a full install because I have dynamic disks. Guys, please help. I really like it and was looking forward to using it on my new laptop.