PDA

View Full Version : My own Java based Desktop Environment

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hey
Check out my JDE's(I know not a proper name but its temporary) builds and progress at Abhinav's Bag Pack (abhinavsbagpack.wordpress.com)

Please do comment on it specially if you want to recommend some things....

[EDIT]
Releases:

1) Build 7 pics released
2) Build 8 pics released(Major release(Took time to make a music player)):guitar:

:)
Abhinav

The Toxic Mite
December 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Nice :)

It is cross-platform, right?

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
right...only some problem with the themes on linux. The text overlap on each other...

Abhinav

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone is invited to give me some recommendation because I have lost my ideas. No more ideas in my head about this project.

Please do give in recommendations

Abhinav:KS

MelDJ
December 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
it looks like KDE 3

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
it looks like KDE 3

So any other way to make it look cool and different....any help would be appreciated:)

The Toxic Mite
December 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
it looks like KDE 3

Doesn't look THAT much like KDE 3; I could argue that the OP in question might want to change it a little bit. :)

joey-elijah
December 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
It's really very very good!

I wouldn't go to OTT on the themeing - especially seeing what some people on here consider desktop aesthetics :p Perhaps just choose a colour scheme and roll with that.

~sHyLoCk~
December 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
So any other way to make it look cool and different....any help would be appreciated:)

Themeing or coolness doesn't matter all that much if it's balanced by other factors like How much ram does it take up? How's the system responsiveness? How faster is it compared to other DEs/WMs. You need to first test and benchmark these.

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Themeing or coolness doesn't matter all that much if it's balanced by other factors like How much ram does it take up? How's the system responsiveness? How faster is it compared to other DEs/WMs. You need to first test and benchmark these.

Currently I just know about the RAM It uses 23.675 MB when all applications are running uses 1% CPU (average).

mickie.kext
December 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Guys what are you looking at? I don't see anything. Is it invisible DE?

mickie.kext
December 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Guys what are you looking at? I don't see anything. Is it invisible DE?
OMG, i missed link
http://abhinavsbagpack.wordpress.com/

I thought my firefox is not displaying pictures again :P

@Abhinavhardikar
Nice work, but next time post full link, or I might fail hard again:lolflag:

LeifAndersen
December 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
@OP: Ya, next time you post the link, put http:// in front of it, or use link tags.

Looks interesting. The computers in the math lab at my university use Java, and it drives me nuts, but that's more do to crappy hardware. I'll have to try this out.

Abhinavhardikar
December 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Build 7 pics released

You can visit Abhinav's Bag Pack (abhinavsbagpack.wordpress.com)to see it.....:)

Abhinav

m4tic
December 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
how do i get this on my computer? i wana check it out

Abhinavhardikar
December 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
how do i get this on my computer? i wana check it out

Currently it is not at all finished....and doesn't work on linux quite well. The text overlap each other. But if you have some suggestions I will most probably try to implement it. And if you have any friends or even you know Java you can help me to reduce my work load. Time is a problem because I am in the 11 Grade and many projects coming up.

So don't worry it will be released soon....

Abhinav:)

m4tic
December 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
i'm doing mechanical engineering 2nd year so i have no programming skills whatsover. i tried learning bt it just got in the way of my current studies. but i can always help by finding flaws in your project and some ideas

Abhinavhardikar
December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
cool even I am opting engineering after my 12 grade...its my dream to get in IIT.

Hyper Tails
December 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
cool I might try it on my machine!
I see you tried windows FLP, I did too!!
anyways looks cool!

Abhinavhardikar
January 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Almost finished with with build 8.x and reeleased pics of build 8 at http://abhinavsbagpack.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/builds-8-pics-released-added-a-musicvideo-player/

Please post comments.....:)

Dragonbite
January 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Didn't Sun come out with a java-based Gnome-like desktop environment a while back? This was I think pre-OpenSolaris days. It may have been JDM or something. Sorry, can't find anything now.

Regardless, if there is a performance benefit for running large java-based applications like OpenOffice, Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. then this may even help promote Java applications which, it seems to me, are sorely overlooked.

Looks cool though! Keep up the good work!

Abhinavhardikar
January 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Help me out please...
I am not getting any other Idea, what more should I add in this....????

Please Help

Abhinav:)

kaldor
February 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
*bump*

After browsing through the screenshots, it looks good so far. Do you plan on building your own applications for it?

I love the Menu bar at the top; it's something I love about my Mac. But is there a way to disable it if needed?

Anyway, from the screenshots..

It looks a little bit too much like KDE. The top menu bar doesn't really fit the bottom panel. It looks a little out of place.

It looks quite clean; this is good, but it does look a bit too simplistic (though this may be just because it's new) Maybe make the bottom panel smaller like in KDE4 or Gnome; it's a bit too big, making it look much more bare than it is.

Please avoid the Windows Vista buttons by default! Too many distros are using that now. I think it looks a bit ugly and too big anyway. I personally love the Nimbus theme buttons. Mac OS X has good window buttons also. Try to fix that if you can; give your DE a more custom feel!

Keep it up though, looks like it could be fun :)

Abhinavhardikar
February 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
*bump*

After browsing through the screenshots, it looks good so far. Do you plan on building your own applications for it?

I love the Menu bar at the top; it's something I love about my Mac. But is there a way to disable it if needed?

Anyway, from the screenshots..

It looks a little bit too much like KDE. The top menu bar doesn't really fit the bottom panel. It looks a little out of place.

It looks quite clean; this is good, but it does look a bit too simplistic (though this may be just because it's new) Maybe make the bottom panel smaller like in KDE4 or Gnome; it's a bit too big, making it look much more bare than it is.

Please avoid the Windows Vista buttons by default! Too many distros are using that now. I think it looks a bit ugly and too big anyway. I personally love the Nimbus theme buttons. Mac OS X has good window buttons also. Try to fix that if you can; give your DE a more custom feel!

Keep it up though, looks like it could be fun :)

Yes I'll make programs for it and implementing some open-source programs also.
Actually I can't do anything about the vista buttons because the author of the theme SeaGlass has made them as default.
Thanx for the suggestions.....