PDA

View Full Version : PSP or Nintendo DS?

HappinessNow
December 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
looking into possibly buying one or the other, which do you suggest?

I like that you can make phone calls through Skype with PSP, can you do the same with Nintendo DS?

Which has the best graphics? which has the best selection of games?

blueshiftoverwatch
December 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
which has the best selection of games?
The GP2X Wiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz) and Dingoo A320 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo).

AllRadioisDead
December 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The GP2X Wiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz) and Dingoo A320 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo).
Good call. My friend has a dingoo and he loves it.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Good call. My friend has a dingoo and he loves it.
I have a Wiz and it's pretty cool.

dragos240
December 28th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Get a DS. Less expensive, and I have a few things against sony.

starcannon
December 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
We went with PSP's here. If you have friends with one of each, see if they'd let you very carefully take each for a test drive for 3 days.
Some things we like about the PSP:
Wifi, MP3 Player, Movies, Skype, Games, Internet Radio.

mr-woof
December 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I've got both, I would say the DS is better for games but the PSP is better for multimedia ie videos, listening to music etc.

docus
December 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I have both and I prefer the DS by miles. PSP games are generally all dazzle with no substance. The DS has way more games for it, and although it can't match the PSP's graphics many of them are made with that Nintendo attention to detail that PSP games tend to lack.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

dragos240
December 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have both and I prefer the DS by miles. PSP games are generally all dazzle with no substance. The DS has way more games for it, and although it can't match the PSP's graphics many of them are made with that Nintendo attention to detail that PSP games tend to lack.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Gameplay > graphics

mr-woof
December 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
gameplay all the time for me, cooking mama anyone? :)

docus
December 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Exactly :thumbsup:

CJ Master
December 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
PSP's games are starting to run dry with all the pirates, I'd recommend the DS. While it does have a lot of shovel-ware, it has more "quality" games and a brighter future.

(If you do get a psp, be sure to get the original series so you can run homebrew.)

bashveank
December 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The DS easily outsells the PSP, so it'll end up having the better games every time.

As an owner of a DS, though, I would go with the iPod Touch as a gaming platform. Games are dirt cheap, and really fun. If you want something more engaging, you can always jailbreak and install a SNES emulator.

I would also take a look at the Pandora (http://www.open-pandora.org/).

Chronon
December 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
There's no replacement for tactile buttons, though, IMO.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I would also take a look at the Pandora (http://www.open-pandora.org/).
While the Pandora might be technologically superior to the GP2X Wiz and Dingoo A320, I don't think most people are going to want to spend $400 or more on a handheld gaming device. I got my Wiz for $165 plus free shipping and thought that was too much.

CJ Master
December 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
iPod touch is really a pretty cool platform. Think PSP Go but better. I'd still prefer a good old DS, though.

xuCGC002
December 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
After owning the DS since 2005, and the DSi since launch, I finally bought a PSP 3 days ago.

Personally, I like the PSP better than the DSi. Mainly as a multimedia device. Games-wise, the PSP isn't as good as the DS, however a few gems exist (God of War, Gran Turismo, GTA) on the PSP, although they're mainly ports of good PS2 games. And Skype is a huge plus for the PSP.

CJ Master
December 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
After owning the DS since 2005, and the DSi since launch, I finally bought a PSP 3 days ago.

Personally, I like the PSP better than the DSi. Mainly as a multimedia device. Games-wise, the PSP isn't as good as the DS, however a few gems exist (God of War, Gran Turismo, GTA) on the PSP, although they're mainly ports of good PS2 games. And Skype is a huge plus for the PSP.

Now see, I don't get the argument on how PSP is a better multimedia device. A DSi with a AceKard 2i can do everything (except skype :( ) that a PSP can.

xuCGC002
December 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Now see, I don't get the argument on how PSP is a better multimedia device. A DSi with a AceKard 2i can do everything (except skype :( ) that a PSP can.

Except with less stability, quality, and ease of use.

CJ Master
December 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
less stability

Wrong

quality,

Wrong

ease of use

Wrong

bashveank
December 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
There's no replacement for tactile buttons, though, IMO.

Meh, all the good iPod games are built for touch or motion sensitivity, anyway.

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 04:38 AM
We went with PSP's here. If you have friends with one of each, see if they'd let you very carefully take each for a test drive for 3 days.
Some things we like about the PSP:
Wifi, MP3 Player, Movies, Skype, Games, Internet Radio.

Skype is a plus for me.

I've got both, I would say the DS is better for games but the PSP is better for multimedia ie videos, listening to music etc.

Can you play Pandora One on PSP?

Good luck with whatever you choose!Perhaps both?

The DS easily outsells the PSP, so it'll end up having the better games every time.

As an owner of a DS, though, I would go with the iPod Touch as a gaming platform. Games are dirt cheap, and really fun. If you want something more engaging, you can always jailbreak and install a SNES emulator.

I would also take a look at the Pandora (http://www.open-pandora.org/).Something inside me just can't go with the iPod Touch but I will look into Pandora.

iPod touch is really a pretty cool platform. Think PSP Go but better. I'd still prefer a good old DS, though.It seems a lot of people perfer the DS,...but which DS the lite or the DSi?

Personally, I like the PSP better than the DSi. Mainly as a multimedia device. Games-wise, the PSP isn't as good as the DS, however a few gems exist (God of War, Gran Turismo, GTA) on the PSP, although they're mainly ports of good PS2 games. And Skype is a huge plus for the PSP.Again Skype is a selling feature, I may buy this for my wife so she can use it to call me from the University.

HappyFeet
December 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I still use the original PSP 1000, and love it.

vishzilla
December 29th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I was planning to get a DS, but ultimately settled for the ipod touch. You should take a look at ipod touch too.

xuCGC002
December 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

and... Your proof?

hessiess
December 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
DS, easier to run home-brew on/ write your own programs for. Most of the things the PSP can do (music etc), the DS can also do with homebrew.

Gizenshya
December 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Get both, you will eventually, anyway :p

Everyone I know has. Sometimes they have one for a year or more before they get the other... but they always get the other.

I prefer the DS gameplay, and the PSP for graphics.

Much of the gameplay is in the game design. Sony just seems to push out games for the sake of pushing them out, but Nintendo puts decidedly more polish and thought into their games. This makes a big difference in the gaming experience, IMO.

The games are significantly cheaper on the DS as well, or so I've heard.

The PSP, for me, is much better with basically everything except gaming. Anything media-related it does great.

The main downside of all portable gaming systems these days is power. Yeah, they have great battery life, and amazing power sources... but each one is different, and proprietary. There are no industry standards, and even within a company, they have serious variations to the point of incompatibility.

We really need some sort of Lithium battery standard designs.

virusiidx
December 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm considering purchasing a DSi. There's a few games I would like to play on it and I love those brain games. I was wondering if there's any type of region lock to play Japanese games though. I would like to buy those Kanji learning games.

Also curious on other things it is capable of.

hessiess
December 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'm considering purchasing a DSi. There's a few games I would like to play on it and I love those brain games. I was wondering if there's any type of region lock to play Japanese games though. I would like to buy those Kanji learning games.

According to wikipeadia, the DS/lite is reagon free, don't know about the DSI.

Also curious on other things it is capable of.

Digital sketchbook:)

http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Digital sketchbook:)

http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/Cool! :P

markbabc
December 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
the psp is much better even though there arent as much games for it, one of the things i like is that its very easy to put custom firmwire on it so that you can just download games from you computer and drag and drop them in it saves you tons of money and with the psp's internet browser you can download music from sites like mp3raid.com and it will save to your music folder and the browser is actually fast so you can use it more like a computer and finnally the graphics are just so much better then the ds but if you get a ds get a ds light not the dsi because the dsi cant play all those great gba games

virusiidx
December 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
According to wikipeadia, the DS/lite is reagon free, don't know about the DSI.

Hmm, according to a few sources after some Google searching, it seems only "DSi Specific" games are region locked, but the regular DS games are not. How extensive is this "DSi" library of games?

I also read that "DSi specific" games are DLC only? Can anyone confirm or enlighten me please?

TIA

xuCGC002
December 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hmm, according to a few sources after some Google searching, it seems only "DSi Specific" games are region locked, but the regular DS games are not. How extensive is this "DSi" library of games?

I also read that "DSi specific" games are DLC only? Can anyone confirm or enlighten me please?

TIA

Indeed, DSi specific games are DLC only and are purchased much like WiiWare (aptly, the DSi software is named 'DSiWare'). However, in my opinion, there isn't much of anything at all that interesting in there. Mainly it's ports or light versions of GBA/DS games, and some filler. I did buy one at launch, but ended up giving it to my younger sister as the original DS and the PSP suited my needs just fine.

virusiidx
December 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Indeed, DSi specific games are DLC only and are purchased much like WiiWare (aptly, the DSi software is named 'DSiWare'). However, in my opinion, there isn't much of anything at all that interesting in there. Mainly it's ports or light versions of GBA/DS games, and some filler. I did buy one at launch, but ended up giving to my younger sister as the original DS and the PSP suited my needs just fine.

Thanks for that. The Japanese games I was planning on purchasing or interested in are all physical games.