PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting 9.10 from USB and initrd.gz missing!

Eisenhorn
December 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I am trying to make a USB stick that boots Ubuntu 9.10. I created 2 partitions ("usb" vfat and "casper" ext2). Then i donwloaded the iso unpacked it and copied the data to usb part. With syslinux -sf i copied the bootloader to part usb.
Now when i start from USB i come to the ubuntu menu but when selecting Start up a message box comes named "Boot loader" and saying "initrd.gz". I can only find initrd.lz on the 9.10 image? Can anybody help me/ give me a clue why there is no initrd.gz? Can I convert lz to gz with tar or something?

pi.boy.travis
January 11th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I am trying to make a USB stick that boots Ubuntu 9.10. I created 2 partitions ("usb" vfat and "casper" ext2). Then i donwloaded the iso unpacked it and copied the data to usb part. With syslinux -sf i copied the bootloader to part usb.
Now when i start from USB i come to the ubuntu menu but when selecting Start up a message box comes named "Boot loader" and saying "initrd.gz". I can only find initrd.lz on the 9.10 image? Can anybody help me/ give me a clue why there is no initrd.gz? Can I convert lz to gz with tar or something?

This one took me WEEKS to figure out. You need to edit the file text.cfg in the syslinux folder on the root of your usb drive. Just change any reference to initrd.gz to initrd.ls

Hope this helps!