PDA

View Full Version : Why should software be free?

sbelz79
December 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
One simple reason- because software is, de facto, free. Regardless of what copyright law says about it, software companies are selling a product that is absurdly easy to copy and distribute for free. If you had a machine that could replicate automobiles at no cost, would you seriously buy a car?

It's time to recognize that in a capitalist system, profit is a privilege that is earned by those who are able to innovate and adapt to the real marketplace- not a right to be guaranteed and protected by the Government. Producers of software and digital media ought to bear the responsibility of figuring out how to make money in a world where the products they produce can be limitlessly reproduced by the consumer- without hiding in the skirts of the Nanny State. Companies that fail to do so should go out of business.

Discuss.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
One simple reason- because software is, de facto, free. Regardless of what copyright law says about it, software companies are selling a product that is absurdly easy to copy and distribute for free. If you had a machine that could replicate automobiles at no cost, would you seriously buy a car?

It's time to recognize that in a capitalist system, profit is a privilege that is earned by those who are able to innovate and adapt to the real marketplace- not a right to be guaranteed and protected by the Government. Producers of software and digital media ought to bear the responsibility of figuring out how to make money in a world where the products they produce can be limitlessly reproduced by the consumer- without hiding in the skirts of the Nanny State. Companies that fail to do so should go out of business.

No. My brother is a programmer/software developer. I'm an IT student. I know the work that goes into good software and think people should be able to charge for it and protect it IF they feel like it. The protection is necessary precisely because it is so easy to copy. Who in their right mind would make software for a living if they couldn't make a profit because their software spread like a virus for free? I'm a huge supporter of open source btw, so don't think this is coming from some Windows fanboy.

starcannon
December 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Discuss.
So, then, under this argument, counterfeiting money should be acceptable?
Nuff said.
Theft is wrong.

John Bean
December 28th, 2009, 11:13 AM
If you had a machine that could replicate automobiles at no cost, would you seriously buy a car?

No, I'd sell them.

nw2001
December 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
So, then, under this argument, counterfeiting money should be acceptable?
Nuff said.
Theft is wrong.

One minor problem here....

Its not theft, They lose nothing, Cause they had nothing in the first place.

Calling piracy theft is like saying making a replica of Famous Painting and selling it is theft.

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Successful troll is successful...

starcannon
December 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
One minor problem here....

Its not theft, They lose nothing, Cause they had nothing in the first place.

Calling piracy theft is like saying making a replica of Famous Painting and selling it is theft.
Piracy involves water, boats, and jerks with weapons; software theft is not piracy.
Software theft is the same sort of theft that counterfeiting is. Property does NOT have to be "natural property" in order to still be property. Justifying stealing will not convince a judge or jury that you have not indeed stolen. Only thieves attempt clouding the issue with "I only "copied" I didn't "steal"; and no, stealing software does not make one a pirate, it only makes one a cowardly thief, nothing sexy, romantic, nor daring.

Elfy
December 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Closed.
No need for yet another thread like this - there are more if you look.