PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ungroup windows in dockbarX ??

chinmaya_n
December 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
HI,

I tried to ungroup windows in dockbarX ....
But failed! Can anyone help me!
I didnt like that grouping behaviour!

Thanx!

M7S
December 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Sorry, grouping is in the very core of DockbarX. I have no plans at including that feature, it would be way too much work for something that actually makes no sense at all to me. But if you (or someone else) want to fork dockbarx and make a non-grouping version (which probably would be much easier than supporting both grouping and non-grouping at the same time), I'll give you all support you need.

M7S,
DockbarX developer

chinmaya_n
December 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I'll give you all support you need.

Thanx M7S, I would like to do that! :popcorn:
Can you direct me to first understand the construction of this dockbar.... I mean, you might already documented it!

Thanx again :)

M7S
December 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I won't give you a full documentation now, I don't have the time.

What I will give you is a dirty hack that will do what you want, hopefully (It's not throughly tested and migh not work as expected at all time) :). Two easy steps:
1) Pull the last last commit from the experimental bransh from launchpad. https://code.launchpad.net/dockbar (Yes, that last commit is made simply to make your hacking easier, you're welcome :P).

2) Replace line 4019 and 4020 in dockbarx.py with

self.groups[class_group_name].add_window(window)
returnwith

if not self.groups[class_group_name].windows:
self.groups[class_group_name].add_window(window)
return
else:
class_group_name = "%s-%s"%(class_group_name, time())
self.windows[window]=class_group_nameThis is a really ugly hack! If one would like to do this the right way the classes Group Button and window button should be merged to one class, since every class now is a window. If you're up for that and need help, I'm still willing to offer you that, but not until next year or so. ;)

pibach
January 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I would like to second ungrouping, as the grouping requires an extra click or mouse move and makes thinks more complicated than it helps.

chinmaya_n
January 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I would like to second ungrouping, as the grouping requires an extra click or mouse move and makes thinks more complicated than it helps.

Hey thankyou!
I didnt had time, so I did not sit to solve it... Hope I may get some time in following few weeks!

#Peter
January 31st, 2010, 09:47 PM
I would also like to see ungrouping very much, bugs the hell out of me with grouping... Makes no sense at all, much more complicated than having seperate icons...

M7S
February 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM
I still don't understand why you want dockbarx to do this. If all you want is icons instead of icons+name, just use talika.

#Peter
February 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I did not know about talika, it suited all my needs. Thank you very much!

floopy1962
September 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
i've been use talika before, its great but with talika 0.49 icons are smaller and with 0.50 icons are OK but don't have buttons...
so i see dockbarx have option "ignor windows on other workspaces"
and have buttons even better have themes. but pibach is right.... its more complicated with grouping. so i can't find "dockbarx.py" anywhere, in /usr/bin i have "dockbarx_factory.py" and there is only 76 lines... where is this "dockbarx.py" i can't find it with gnome-search-tool or catfish.
i have big and clear panel, 2 workspaces... i don't need grouping pls tell me how to do it :(
sry.. i found dockbarx.py in /usr/share/pyshared/dockbarx but i can't find lines 4019- self.groups[class_group_name].add_window(window) and 4020-return i have only 1144 lines..

M7S
September 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Much has happened with dockbarx since I posted that hack. I could make some new instructions if you want later this week (I have to prioritize releasing a new version of dockbarx first). Don't expect a perfect bugfree experience, though. The hack will be ugly.

floopy1962
September 30th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Much has happened with dockbarx since I posted that hack. I could make some new instructions if you want later this week (I have to prioritize releasing a new version of dockbarx first). Don't expect a perfect bugfree experience, though. The hack will be ugly.

Thank you very much... i will be grateful :P i will wait 8)

M7S
October 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Ok, haven't tried this so I don't know if it works but replace line 443 (in Dockbarx 0.39.8, it might be some other line if you still use 0.39.7)

self.groups[identifier].add_window(window)

with

identifier = identifier + str(len(self.groups[identifier].windows)+1)
self.windows[window] = identifier

floopy1962
October 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Ok, haven't tried this so I don't know if it works but replace line 443 (in Dockbarx 0.39.8, it might be some other line if you still use 0.39.7)

with

i found "self.groups[identifier].add_window(window)" on line 439...
i replace it and dockbar wont run...
in terminal when i type "dockbarx_factory.py run-in-window"
i get this

progname=dockbarx_factory.py; RGBA=on
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/dockbarx_factory.py", line 26, in <module>
import dockbarx.dockbar
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dockbarx/dockbar.py", line 440
^
IndentationError: unexpected indent
this is with Dockbarx 0.39.8
i also found other Dockbarx 0.39.8 tar.gz
there "self.groups[identifier].add_window(window)" is exactly on 443 line and when raplace it i get this...

progname=dockbarx_factory.py; RGBA=on
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/dockbarx_factory.py", line 26, in <module>
import dockbarx.dockbar
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/dockbarx/dockbar.py", line 443
^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

is there a chance for this to work... :( it's very difficult to me to work with gimp and inkscape...

M7S
October 5th, 2010, 06:14 AM
The number of white spaces is very important in python. They need to unchanged from the code.

Edit: I have used normal spaces, not tabs in the code. That matters too. You should in other words have 12 spaces before each row.

M7S
October 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ok, I tested the code it doesn't work, but this should:

line 441 - 444

if identifier in self.groups.get_identifiers():
# This isn't the first open window of this group.
returnshould be replaced with these lines.

if identifier in self.groups.get_identifiers():
# This isn't the first open window of this group.
if not self.groups[identifier].windows:
return
n = 0
while(True):
n += 1
if not identifier + str(n) in self.groups.get_identifiers():
identifier = identifier + str(n)
break

The intendent should be correct if you just copy-paste over.

M7S
October 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Did you get it to work?

floopy1962
October 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
i'm sorry for wasting your time... it didn't work :( the whole dockbarx stop working until i delete every dockbarx file by heand and now i have fresh install... now i use dockbarx on AWN :)
if you guessed some other way to do that...
but thanks for trying to helping me :P :)

floopy1962
October 12th, 2010, 02:10 AM
hey wait i change some free space i dockbar.py and start working :) i love you man :KS:) i don't know why but the icon quality is little ugly... whateversize i made :d
http://i53.tinypic.com/2iraiv6.png
but however its work :P

M7S
October 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Yes, the hack has that effect. What the hack does is that it adds a number to identifier for every new window so that every window has a unique identifier instead of the same for all windows of a program. The downside is that the identifier also is used for identifying the right icon in the theme and for pinning and stuff like that. As I said before it's an ugly hack.

floopy1962
October 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
yea its happening only if two windows of one app is open... the pretty and the ugly :D however is not a big problem :P now i more easy to work with gimp for me :P tank you :)

Valery Kondakoff
November 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
There is 'Keep open office application separated' option. Can we have something like this for Chrome/Chromium windows, which were opened using application shortcuts?

Currently all of the Chrome/Chromium windows, which were opened using application shortcut are grouped with the main Chrome/Chromium window and all of them have the same icon - this seems wrong to me...

Thank you!..

M7S
November 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Chrome/Chrominum apps could be separated and the same goes for firefox prism applications. Could you post a wishlist bug report at launchpad so that I won't forget it (I have a mile long todo list since the feature freeze ended after the 0.40 release)? https://bugs.launchpad.net/dockbar/

Valery Kondakoff
November 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Done! https://bugs.launchpad.net/dockbar/+bug/681376