PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New to Linux

InsightGoalie
December 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Well, my Windows 7 beta took a crap on me. Every time Windows does this I always dabble in Linux and try Kubuntu. It always ends up being unsuccessful because I don't know anyone that uses linux and have no support. Well, recently I've been really messing with my Android phone rooting it and playing with it like that. I realized that I used the forums a lot as a crutch. So, I'm here for help. I know the big issue I have is when I last installed ubuntu/kubuntu I couldn't get my sound to work. Here is my set up:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (not sure which version) motherboard
1.86 Core 2 Duo OC'ed to 2.8
3GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
HD4850 ATI GPU
32GB Patriot SSD (boot drive so my / drive)
250GB Western Digital HDD x2 (can I RAID 0 these? My MB supports it and I do it with windows. This is my "application drive" that would be my /home drive?)
1TB Western Digital Black for my storage/network. I would make it NTFS I think, so my other Windows PC's will see it
I use dual monitors with my 32" 720p Samsung TV and my Dell 24" 1080p monitor (I've got that to work just fine before)

Any suggestions on x64 vs x86 or ubuntu vs kubuntu or any other versions that would be better for my hardware? Or is it mostly just preference? I'll probably be trying to install linux tomorrow or Tuesday.

MelDJ
December 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM
what happens when you try to boot kubuntu?