PDA

View Full Version : Why Linux is better than Mac or Windows?

yuvalsarig2005
February 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
If Linux is better than Mac or Windows?

Should I install Linux on my comuter? (I have Mac OS X 10.4)

Please send answer

WelterPelter
February 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
The answer to the first question is so huge and complex, but I think the answer to the second is fairly straightforward. Putting Linux on your Mac is sort of pointless, since OSX is a *nix anyway. You can run many, many unix programs on it without too much trouble. I wouldn't bother with it.

thoffland
February 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Also, if you are new to linux you'd be better off learning it on a separate computer rather than your main one. I've been using it for about 6 months and love it, but still rely on Windows (unfortunately) for most of my work.

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Better for me doesn't mean better for you.
What do you want Linux to do that Mac OS X can't?

If you're sick of Aqua and want to customize your interface and icons easily, maybe Linux is "better."

If you want certain designed-for-Linux software and don't want to be bothered with Fink (which is really complicated--I went through it on my wife's Powerbook to get Gnocatan installed), then maybe Linux is "better."

If you don't want to pay US$129 for an OS upgrade (say, Panther to Tiger, or Tiger to Leopard), then maybe Linux is "better."

However, if you want a tightly integrated experience, then Mac is better. If you want an ultra-slick interface, then Mac is better. If you want a lot of commercial software (like Adobe Creative Suite), then Mac is better. If you want fully functional Flash in webpages, Mac is better (Flash works just fine on x86 Linux but not PPC).

bobpaul
February 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I've been using it for about 6 months and love it, but still rely on Windows (unfortunately) for most of my work.

I was never able to make a smooth transition to linux until I was already familiar with the major tools I wanted to use. I had been using Firefox and Thunderbird for a while, but then installed OpenOffice, Gaim and a dozen other apps on Windows. Once I was comfortable with the OSS software, I put gentoo on and only boot WinXP in KQemu if I absolutely have to. I'm now trying a transition to Ubuntu where things like Automount and other niceties are already configured.

But I would agree with WelterPelter. Install X-Windows onto MacOSX and figure out how to get to the Terminal and you should be good. Install Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) to make installing *nix apps easier and you're set. If you really want Linux, dual boot until you can make the switch. Find apps that can run on both Mac OS and Linux to get your day-to-day work done so, or you probably won't make yourself boot Linux enough to learn it.

stevieg
February 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my ibook mainly to learn Linux. I still like OS X / Aqua as my main system.

ubuntubrian
February 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I have a TiBook and run OS X 10.3.8 when I use it. I have installed Xwindows on it and Fink and can run many, many *nix programs. The Fink team are great and the U of Tokyo team the best. They got KDE 3.5 ported in a matter of days from its release and it is beautiful (no transparency or shadows though). The Gnome team for Fink is a bit slower but still good. The support is incredible-I love it.
But I don't boot into OS X much at all anymore as Ubuntu dual booted on my TiBook is a dream come true. I have no problem withday to day apps for work and the support on the forums has helped me work out the few bugs that I have had, primarily WiFi networking. I love the adaptability, the gazillions of available apps and the entire philosophy behind FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). If the world could work at a fraction as well as the community does I think we'd be much better off.
My only regret is that my lack of knowledge doesn;t allow me to do more tha\\:D/ n file bugs!

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
i've often wondered why anyone would put linux on a new mac, if it's already based on bsd. i would think that getting rid of some of the "you're gonna like this" crap would be a good idea though. use an alternative to the sluggish desktop, etc. (i'm not really the person to ask.)

LordHunter317
February 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
i've often wondered why anyone would put linux on a new mac, if it's already based on bsd.Because OS X has terrible performance as a server. And, if you're developing for Linux, you need to be able to develop on your targeted platform.

Stormy Eyes
February 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Should I install Linux on my comuter? (I have Mac OS X 10.4)

You're a stranger to us, so it's not reasonable to ask us for advice.

aysiu
February 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
i've often wondered why anyone would put linux on a new mac I believe you actually started a thread on this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89331).

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I believe you actually started a thread on this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89331).

hey! you're right! i think i did!

ctt1wbw
February 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I put Dos 4 on my iMac just to learn Dos. It ain't workin out so well.