PDA

View Full Version : More polished distro?

mamamia88
December 28th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I was just wondering if there was a more polished distro than ubuntu? i have a couple of key gripes with ubuntu. 1. my screen brightness is extremely low after suspend i have to unplug and replug in my laptop and 2. my title bars are transparent after i reboot and have to edit a specfic gconf key. so anyone know of something good that preferably uses gnome?

amitabhishek
December 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I tried Sabayon ver 5 briefly. I didn't like it. Esp. the font rendering. You can give it shot if you like.

BTW be prepared for responses like : Define polished? :D

mamamia88
December 28th, 2009, 05:41 AM
i mean a few features that are less annoying and maybe a " release when ready" release cycle rather than it will be out on a specific date ready or not

unknownPoster
December 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
openSUSE, Mandriva, and Fedora/Red Hat are all backed by fairly big corporations. As such you may find them to be more "polished."

utnubuuser
December 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM
saluti --

about release cycle critiscism:http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/the-myth-of-the-bad-ubuntu-release/

If you just want a little more release-refinement, why not use an older release rather than "fresh off the presses"? 9.04 is solid, and so is 8.04

Sidux is cutting-edge, though only xfce/kde

BT1
December 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I went to www.distrowatch.com where it lists linux distributions (which is how I found ubuntu), and it has quite a variety of Gnome based distributions to choose from. In my own personal experience, it's a very vanilla experience. Most come out running and looking the same except the developer's own personal "theme" (colors, backround, etc).

Gnome... is gnome wherever you go in my own experience. I have over 15 distros based on Gnome installed through virtual box, and the only thing it comes down to is usability and support, and Ubuntu takes the cake in those two departments. I personally feel that Ubuntu and its derivatives are the top of hill, Ubuntu being the best Gnome distro out there. (I love Xubuntu too!)

But that's just me... go ahead and browse distrowatch and download a few things, and see what I've discovered lol.

Hope it all ends well!

mamamia88
December 28th, 2009, 05:53 AM
if only i could work out these 2 little bugs i have i would be perfectly happy. i posted earlier but i got no results.

MooPi
December 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I would suggest posting specifically about each gripe and be detailed so to give everyone the most info on your issues. I haven't a clue on how to help because I'm more familiar with Openbox.

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM
My vote would probably go to OpenSuse on this. Sabayon is a bit too much polished, to the point where it looks a bit ridiculous IMO.

unknownPoster
December 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM
My vote would probably go to OpenSuse on this. Sabayon is a bit too much polished, to the point where it looks a bit ridiculous IMO.

I feel the same way.

I've also found Sabayon to have the worst performing default installation out there. It's just too much glitter and glamor, which tends to create a fairly sluggish system.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I don't know who you can really compare a Debian distro like Ubuntu to RPM distros like OpenSUSE or Fedora in terms of how polished they are. Seems like they're in completely different categories.

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I don't know who you can really compare a Debian distro like Ubuntu to RPM distros like OpenSUSE and Fedora in terms of how polished they are.

How does the packaging system it uses affect the "polishedness" of a distro?

Frak
December 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
openSUSE, Mandriva, and Fedora/Red Hat are all backed by fairly big profitable corporations. As such you may find them to be more "polished."

Fixed that for you.

gsmanners
December 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The most well-behaved distro in my experience was Debian. My time with Debian made me *want* applications to start breaking a little bit. On the other side of the spectrum for me was Fedora, which is an exciting distro to use but definitely requires some work to keep from breaking every now and then.

szymon_g
December 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
try OpenSuse.
it's kde is really polished, well integrated.

armageddon08
December 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I found Mandriva 2010 to be most polished closely followed by openSUSE 11.2.

HappinessNow
December 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Try PC-BSD instead. NOT Linux but BSD for a more refined polish. :P

Queue29
December 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
OpenSuse 11.2 kde is beautiful: the only thing that gets close to comparing to Windows or OSX in "polish" (imo of course).

It's also stable(!).

http://www.desktoplinux.com/files/misc/opensuse_opensuse112_kde.jpg

doas777
December 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
OpenSuse 11.2 kde is beautiful: the only thing that gets close to comparing to Windows or OSX in "polish" (imo of course).

It's also stable(!).

http://www.desktoplinux.com/files/misc/opensuse_opensuse112_kde.jpg

have they fixed yast's dependency locators yet? last time I tried a suse distro, i spent 2 days hunting individual .so files across 6 websites, just to get an xvid clip to play....

Cuddles McKitten
December 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
If by "polish" you mean "pretty" either look for GNOME themes you like or just ditch GNOME and install KDE. Most people think KDE looks a bit nicer.

Pogeymanz
December 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I was just wondering if there was a more polished distro than ubuntu? i have a couple of key gripes with ubuntu. 1. my screen brightness is extremely low after suspend i have to unplug and replug in my laptop and 2. my title bars are transparent after i reboot and have to edit a specfic gconf key. so anyone know of something good that preferably uses gnome?

Sorry, but it sounds like Gnome is your problem. Not Ubuntu. Ubuntu is really one of the best/easiest distros out there.

If you insist on moving from Ubuntu, try
PCLinuxOS (KDE)
Debian (Gnome)
OpenSUSE (KDE) --Always seemed sluggish and bloated to me.

chris4585
December 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
1. my screen brightness is extremely low after suspend i have to unplug and replug in my laptop

Can't you use the Fn key and press up to brighten it?

blueshiftoverwatch
December 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
How does the packaging system it uses affect the "polishedness" of a distro?
When I first posted I thought people were talking about polished in terms of how well the distro ran, not how good it looked. I was referring to the huge pain that RPM dependency hell is and how many people used to Debian distro won't touch an RPM distro with a 10 foot pole.

MasterNetra
December 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
There is Ultimate Edtition which is Ubuntu base (primarly Ubuntu really with a crap load of great themes and programs.) Latest UE ver 2.5's default Theme initally has a kinda "ehh" theme but updating changes it to something better, dunno what happen at release but meh. ...just uh don't use synaptic's search function in UE...

BXCracer
December 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You can always try Mint. It's based on Ubuntu, has all the codecs by default and looks pretty good.

DeadSuperHero
December 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Back in the day, Linspire did a great job of making a highly-polished KDE setup.

Unfortunately, you just don't get system setups like that anymore. Instead you usually get stock installations that just vary slightly from the default settings.