PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu persistent LiveUSB- are saved changes installed when you install from USB?

murderslastcrow
December 28th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Simple question, just wanna' verify before I do/do not waste my time trying this.

When you use the Ubuntu USB Startup Disk creator and include the persistence file, does it keep the changes you make when you install from the USB to a regular hard drive?

For example- you install few programs (like Avast! Antivirus, Banshee, remove Rhythmbox, whatever) on the LiveUSB. The changes are saved. You boot it up again later on and go to Install Ubuntu from the desktop icon for ubiquity.

Does this install the setup that's currently on the USB, or does it just do a regular Ubuntu setup? (I can't see how it could install Rhythmbox if it's been removed from the install without downloading it from somewhere, but I want to be sure it will keep the changes)

Is this possible? Is this what happens by default? I should know by now, but I really don't have the time to try it if it DOESN'T work. I'd rather just do a backup ISO with Reconstructor or something if this isn't the case.

Thanks in advance for answering!

murderslastcrow
December 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Wow- really? I'm gonna' be testing this myself, then?

Well, since I don't have the time to muss it up, I'm gonna' be doing a back up ISO anyway (spin-off), then go ahead trying a persistent USB later.

It'd be really nice if someone had an understanding of this, but I guess it's not a very common circumstance.

dwightblackwell
March 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
It would be nice if you could access your docs and settings, from the usb drive from another OS.

C.S.Cameron
March 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
In a persistent install docs and settings are kept in a file named casper-rw.
Following shows how to access casper-rw from another (Linux) O/S.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7055983&postcount=2