PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Correct over-write option? (new install/screenshot)

buccaneere
December 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Indulge me please on a simple question here... I want to put 9.10 on top of 8.04. Backup is done.

Which option is correct?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141419&d=1261970997

presence1960
December 28th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Choose the manual option then choose the 8.04 partition by right clicking on it and choosing Change. A window will open- you need to set parameters asked for in that window. Make sure you tick the format box and on mount point use the drop down box to select / as mount point.

buccaneere
December 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks!

Which parameter do I want - ext4?, ext3, ext2, or other?

I hope to have EVERYTHING, EXACTLY as it is now, except the new install...

presence1960
December 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks!

Which parameter do I want - ext4?, ext3, ext2, or other?

I hope to have EVERYTHING, EXACTLY as it is now, except the new install...

ext4 is fast, but ext3 is ok also. Everything will be as it is now as long as you only change the Ubuntu partition on the manual option. leave every other partition alone. If you already have a swap partition leave that too as the installer will detect that and set it up to be used.

buccaneere
December 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
ext4 is fast, but ext3 is ok also. Everything will be as it is now as long as you only change the Ubuntu partition on the manual option. leave every other partition alone. If you already have a swap partition leave that too as the installer will detect that and set it up to be used.

Thanks again there!

And THIS partition is my mount point? It does not say that this is NOW the case, in my current setup... ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141432&d=1261977634

presence1960
December 28th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Click use as and choose ext3 or ext4. Tick the format box. Then on mountpoint use the drop down box to choose /

Then click OK. The partitioner will rescan your disks and then you will see the info there.

buccaneere
December 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Click use as and choose ext3 or ext4. Tick the format box. Then on mountpoint use the drop down box to choose /

Then click OK. The partitioner will rescan your disks and then you will see the info there.

Thanks again there presence!

Now, I'm finding 'No accounts found' (to import personal stuff).

It's all backed up - the 8.04 stuff, but if I can directly import it in the install, that would be better. How come it's finding no users/data?

presence1960
December 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks again there presence!

Now, I'm finding 'No accounts found' (to import personal stuff).

It's all backed up - the 8.04 stuff, but if I can directly import it in the install, that would be better. How come it's finding no users/data?

That one I have to say I do not know. Since you got it all backed up you should be ok if it does not find anything to import.