PDA

View Full Version : Canonical Store based in Africa and Royal Air Mail delivering by Canoe

pmla
December 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Canonical Store based in Africa and Royal Air Mail delivering by Canoe

www.canonical.com

***WARNING*** Do not buy any items from Ubuntu Canonical Store ***WARNING***

full story link my website (http://www.pmabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38:canonical-store-based-in-africa-and-royal-air-mail-delivering-by-canoe&catid=10:iceland-blog&Itemid=24)

my website (http://www.pmabox.com)

Canonical Store based in Africa and Royal Air Mail delivering by Canoe

www.canonical.com

***WARNING*** Do not buy any items from Ubuntu Canonical Store ***WARNING***

The Story:
Thursday 12 November, 2009
Being crazy about Ubuntu I decided to buy a few items from the online Ubuntu Canonical Store in UK... .
Besides the online print out, I received no email confirmation of my purchase or any detail to track the order.
MY CREDIT CARD WAS IMMEDIATELY CHARGED WITH THE CORRECT AMOUNT
Tuesday 17 November, 2009
5 days after my purchase and credit card charge. Impatient as I am, decided to contact canonical about my order and my order track number (never received).
Got an answer the same day from: Merchandise Mania <canonical@merchandisemania.co.uk> saying that the goods would be dispatched shortly and I would then get a track ticket.

screenshot
Same day 17 November, 2009 I get an email with my track order number. wow was I happy Laughing
screenshot
Wednesday 18 November, 2009
Finally my order shows up in http://track.royalmail.com and I can check my delivery status.
Here is a prtscr ... to this date the website still shows the same info.
screenshot
Tuesday 24 November, 2009
7 days since my last contact, and 2 weeks after the purchase and credit card charge I decided to contact canonical and Royal mail.
Royal Mail email:
me to them » was done online php and there was no option to receive copy in my inbox » therefore have no copy
same day received their automatic answer (without my email as copy)

Dear Mr. Alves,

Thank you for your enquiry, which will be reviewed by one of our Customer Service Advisors.

We aim to respond to enquiries within 5 working days. Please note, if your enquiry is complex and further investigation is required it may take up to 10 working days to respond fully.

For enquiries relating to one of our financial products it may take up to 7 working days to respond fully.

Thank you for contacting Post Office Ltd.

Kind Regards,

Customer Services
Post Office Ltd.

just a note here... netetics 5/7/10 working days to respond an email... isn't the max 48 hours? ok, never mind that
same day, 5 hours later

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PLEASE DO NOT USE REPLY BUTTON AS YOUR MAIL WILL BE DISCARDED AT
GEMSNOREPLY@ROYALMAIL.COM

FOR FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE PLEASE REPLY TO THE FOLLOWING EMAIL ADDRESS

contactus@royalmail.com

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************

This is an automatic acknowledgement from Royal Mail Customer Services

Your reference number is RM0367-3830

Thank you for your e-mail. This has been allocated to one of our advisors
who will investigate and respond to your specific enquiry. Our aim is to
reply to all customer emails within five working days.

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.

Please contact at contactus@royalmail.com for future reference.

Royal Mail Group Limited registered in England and Wales registered number
4138203 registered office 3rd Floor, 100 Victoria Embankment, London,
EC4Y0HQ

4138203 registered office 3rd Floor, 100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y
0HQ

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the named recipient, you must not use,
disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication.
If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then
delete this email from your system.

another automatic email from Royal Mail???? great something is happening

Me to Canonical and Back email:
creenshot
lololol, I still laugh everytime I read this email... "delivery can take up to 12 weeks before being considered lost" that's promising and reassuring Laughing
"please contact us on the 17/02/2010" lololol
Decided to respond to Dave in canonical@merchandisemania.co.uk in a very fun way Laughing
screenshot
A month later here is my promise to Dave being fulfilled, a nice entry in my website blog, a post in Ubuntu forums and a few articles in some "important" magazines.
Please remove that ridiculous default option from your website. Should not be an option let alone a default one.
Wednesday 25 November, 2009
Royal mail answers to my request

PLEASE DO NOT USE REPLY BUTTON AS YOUR MAIL WILL BE DISCARDED AT
GEMSNOREPLY@ROYALMAIL.COM

FOR FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE PLEASE REPLY TO THE FOLLOWING EMAIL ADDRESS

contactus@royalmail.com

Dear Mr Alves

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the International Signed For item
reference RF.

Our International Signed For service can be tracked up to the point where
it leaves the UK. Once it has left the UK, our Track & Trace system will
show that the item has been passed to the overseas postal service for
delivery.

Airmail delivery aims for Europe are 3-4 working days and 5-7 working days
for the rest of the world. These aims include items being sent by the
International Signed For and Airsure services. Delivery targets are not
guaranteed and we do not accept any claims for the delay of an item.

An airmail item being sent to Europe is only considered lost if it is not
delivered within 20 working days of the expected delivery date, for an item
going to the rest of the world it is 25 days. Claims for missing items are
accepted from the sender who will be able to provide a certificate of
posting along with all the relevant information.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Regards

Mari Campbell
Customer Service Advisor

Please contact at contactus@royalmail.com for future reference.

4138203 registered office 3rd Floor, 100 Victoria Embankment, London,
EC4Y0HQ

4138203 registered office 3rd Floor, 100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y
0HQ

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the named recipient, you must not use,
disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication.
If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then
delete this email from your system.

lolol.... it's a long and confusing email... but I live in Iceland, last time I checked Iceland is in Europe, lolol but being an island it my drift Laughing and suddenly show up in south america.

Conclusion and Final Considerations of this unfinished business:
My credit card was fully charged and still have not received any goods... today is Monday 28 December, 2009
Guess I will have to wait 12 weeks and re-order Money mouth and, hope Iceland stays in the same place "Europe" for 12 weeksLaughing
Here is a prtscr of the famous shipping option in canonical website... lolol the difference between that strange service and air mail "don't ask me the difference, guess mine comes from Africa in a canoe" is 1€
screenshot
Please remove that ridiculous default option from Canonical website. Should not be an option let alone a default one.
I think the crisis also affected Royal Mail to provide such a low quality service. Let me know if you guys need some coins to buy new paddles for the canoe.

3rdalbum
December 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've ordered twice. The first time I got my gear in a very short space of time. The second, it took a while before they actually shipped it, and then it arrived quickly.

Also, this belongs in Community Cafe, not in Community Market.

ugm6hr
December 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm afraid I don't follow the thread clearly because of the way you've quoted the emails. Nevertheless, it appears this is an issue with Royal Mail's international postal service.

It is unfortunate that non-UK users of the store probably don't realise the difference between Royal Mail's delivery options.

Can't really hold this against Canonical; from a UK-users viewpoint, Royal Mail is actually the best option for receiving deliveries if you are not at home during workdays.

Perhaps you should let Canonical UK store know that the delivery options should be made clearer on their website, particularly for international orders.

The references to Africa and canoes are obviously irrelevant as far as I can see. Royal Mail will not define a parcel as "lost" until ~20 days following posting even within the UK; I've thought this was stupid before too, but I don't think there is much that can be done about it.

Swagman
December 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I suspect a little event called "Christmas" has delayed your parcel.

It took about a month to get my delivery from the shop and I'm here in the UK

(I ordered a hoody and cap)

pmla
December 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I'm afraid I don't follow the thread clearly because of the way you've quoted the emails. Nevertheless, it appears this is an issue with Royal Mail's international postal service.

Please folloe the links to my website for a full story and print screens.

full story link my website (http://www.pmabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38:canonical-store-based-in-africa-and-royal-air-mail-delivering-by-canoe&catid=10:iceland-blog&Itemid=24)

my website (http://www.pmabox.com)

Also, there's is clearly a discrepancy between what Royal Mail says and Canonical website.
In my view they are both to blame, specially Canonical to offer such a low delivery service as default

PartisanEntity
December 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Instead of making a public fuss about this, why not contact Canonical and mention this issue to them and offer them feedback on how they can improve the shop system and services.

I understand your frustration but many others have had good experiences so obviously this is not the norm.

Hwæt
December 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I suspect a little event called "Christmas" has delayed your parcel.

It took about a month to get my delivery from the shop and I'm here in the UK

(I ordered a hoody and cap)

Is shipping really that slow in the U.K.? Here in the U.S. I got my things within 5 days after I ordered them from the U.S. store. :shock:

kevinatkins
December 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I'm in the UK and I've ordered stuff from the store before, and it's been fine - delivery within one week / 5 working days at most..

ugm6hr
December 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Also, there's is clearly a discrepancy between what Royal Mail says and Canonical website.
In my view they are both to blame, specially Canonical to offer such a low delivery service as default

I'm not sure what the norm is in Iceland, but uninsured delivery for items under £25 is the norm here; the proportion of "lost" items is small.

Nevertheless, it is very irritating if you are one of those affected.

It might help to mention to Canonical that uninsured / un-guaranteed delivery date services are not appropriate default options for overseas customers.

Swagman
December 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Is shipping really that slow in the U.K.? Here in the U.S. I got my things within 5 days after I ordered them from the U.S. store. :shock:

It is when there has been (postal) strikes here in UK

People need to understand what's happening to the postal service here in uk.
(It's being destroyed)

The profitable divisions of the Royal mail have been opened up to competition.

Competition is good, right ?

Not when the playing field is not level

Royal mail had to factor in the unprofitable sides of the business to their costs. The private companies simply don't touch anything unprofitable. So the private companies won that business from RM.

BUT

Royal Mail STILL HAS TO DELIVER THE GOODS/MAIL IT LOST TO PRIVATE COMPANIES,and that business has priority over RM's own business.

That's right. Royal Mail is delivering privatised goods/mail for free.

Just so people actually grasp what I mean....

Royal Mail has the network infrastructure (which includes the unprofitable routes). So it is being forced to use it's infrastructure to deliver all the profitable stuff it lost. And that "stuff" takes priority over its own work.

And Royal Mail has to do it for free.

The posties have never been busier because RM have cut manpower down and tripled everyones workload to try and remain in the black

They are losing. It's just a matter of time.