PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install Ubuntu on Asus UL50ag Notebook

MKep
December 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I am having difficulty installing Ubuntu onto my Asus UL50ag notebook. For one thing, I can't seem to get around the Windows 7 startup. Any attempt to get into the BIOS is met only with options for loading or repairing Windows 7. This is my main problem right now. I realize that this may be more of an Asus issue, but I thought there might be someone on these messageboards who has experienced something similar.

Help? :(

taurus
December 28th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Can you bring up a boot menu with Esc when the notebook is first powered on (or reboot)?

MKep
December 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
#1: Thank you for your reply:)

Yes. It gives me the option to boot from HDD or CDROM/DVD. I choose CDROM/DVD each time, but I am always redirected to the Windows 7 repair screen. I don't understand it.

taurus
December 28th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Did you have an Ubuntu bootable CD in the tray?

MKep
December 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I figured out my problem(s), the largest one being that I had burnt my installation CD incorrectly. I had tried to burn the image via the file viewer window rather than from right-clicking on the file itself. I also figured out that I needed to hit ESC almost as soon as the computer booted in order to get to the BIOS. The combination of these two revelations made the correctly-executed installation process a breeze.

Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas to this thread. Your help has been MUCH appreciated.=D> :D =D>