PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 HD = Dumb?

user1397
December 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM
So if I go to 'Computer' in the start menu, and right click -> properties on my C drive, it says I am using 29.4 GB (and this is after defragmenting several times)...

...but if I go into my C drive and select everything (including hidden stuff) and right click -> properties, it says the total size is only 15.4 GB.

Where are those extra 14 GB?

Hwæt
December 28th, 2009, 02:41 AM
So if I go to 'Computer' in the start menu, and right click -> properties on my C drive, it says I am using 29.4 GB (and this is after defragmenting several times)...

...but if I go into my C drive and select everything (including hidden stuff) and right click -> properties, it says the total size is only 15.4 GB.

The icon?

Exodist
December 28th, 2009, 02:43 AM

Possibly cached junk and/or area reserved for virtual memory.

The icon?
LMAO..

CharlesA
December 28th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Page file or system restore points more then likely.

Also, you do know that defragging doesn't free space, right?

EDIT: Checked mine, It's using 8Gigs for paging and 8gigs for system restore. That's about right, since the files on my C drive total around 28GB and I've got 50GB used.

ctrlmd
December 28th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Page file or system restore points more then likely.

Also, you do know that defragging doesn't free space, right?

EDIT: Checked mine, It's using 8Gigs for paging and 8gigs for system restore. That's about right, since the files on my C drive total around 28GB and I've got 50GB used.
where did you see those details ? :confused:

TheLions
December 28th, 2009, 03:08 AM
where did you see those details ? :confused:

just type
fdisk -l in your terminal! :lolflag:

OT:
You can see that here:
http://www.itechtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=422&pictureid=2463

ctrlmd
December 28th, 2009, 03:12 AM
just type

OT:
You can see that here:
http://www.itechtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=422&pictureid=2463

:lolflag:thx i was lost

CharlesA
December 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
just type

But it says "Bad command or file name."

Why does it want my name?!?

:lolflag:

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM

/fail

cprofitt
December 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Windows 7 / Vista uses Volume Shadow copies, unless you turned them off, and those will take up space as well.

kerry_s
December 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
:lolflag: you know what they say, it keeps a secret history of everything you do from the first day you log in, it's going to need a lot of space for me. :lolflag:

Dayofswords
December 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
shadow copies annoying me cuz i have 50gb used, with 25gb unaccounted for...

Dullstar
December 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
WELL THEN. That had better not take up all my partition! I only planned on using it for a few modern games, so I kinda only had a 50 gigabyte partition made with boot camp (I have Linux on my old computer and eventually Linux will be on my brother's because he insists on trading them. I for now don't feel like putting Linux on my iMac when I can devote a whole extra computer to it as Linux deserves it and Windows doesn't)

Psumi
December 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
/fail

*facepalm*

Some people actually don't know.

Zoot7
December 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM

You might want to try running a disk cleanup, 7 seems to have a habit of hogging hard drive space with things like system restore at times.
I found 7 to be taking up roughly 25GB of extra space a few days ago.

/fail
Lol, gotta love your automatically antagonistic and negative response to anything even remotely anti-windows here. :rolleyes:

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
*facepalm*

Some people actually don't know.

the topic title is ridiculous, not necessarily the content within. i'll stick with my previous post, thanks.

Abhinavhardikar
December 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Windows 7 / Vista uses Volume Shadow copies, unless you turned them off, and those will take up space as well.

Thats true I removed the Volume Shadow copy and showed the correct usage data

user1397
December 29th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Yup, deleting the restore points took out like 12 GB, and the other 2 GB are for the paging file. I totally didn't know about that till now. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

And yea the title was meant to be just sorta a joke, I'm not 'bashing windows' or anything*

* meant for a particularly sensitive individual on these forums.

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
haha, yes, of course sparky. don't blame me for the irony of a particular word you used in the topic title.

Khakilang
December 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Could be temporarily internet file, compressed file, cookies, rubbish bin and who know what file might be hidden. Virus? They don't want you to know they exist in your computer.

CharmyBee
December 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Well in that case you would use good ol' CrapCleaner (http://ccleaner.com).