PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Closing laptop lid stops HDMI output

r0ck1t
December 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I have an old laptop that I am using to play media to an HDTV via HDMI output but when I close the lid the HDMI output stops and the video plays on the laptop screen.

I have set the lid close action to nothing in Power Manager and in Displays I set the HDTV to be the only output, by deactivating output to the laptop screen, but once I close the lid this all seems to go out the window.

When I boot the computer after setting all the settings this way it boots using only HDMI output and the laptop screen is off. After I close the lid and reopen it, the HDTV is extending the desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can give extra info if requested.

r0ck1t
December 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Bump. This is not the same behaviour as Windows. windows will continue to output through HDMI with the lid closed, there must be a way to get this to happen in Ubuntu/Linux.

Camaguey
February 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have the same problem, and I don't even have the "do nothing" option in power management. Definitely bump.

Crimbo
November 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Yup, another bump! :KS

kliffs
November 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM
That is weird. You could almost close the lid. Like 90% of the way:D

Crimbo
November 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
err...

nope.

In all seriousness, you wouldn't be able to switch off the display without it affecting the other monitor.

Saying that though... if someone is interested in creating a script that switches off 'monitor 1', whilst in mirror mode ;)

homeriq5
June 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Try following this: http://blog.ryanrampersad.com/2011/05/17/do-nothing-on-lid-close-ubuntu/

Crimbo
June 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Ace!
I currently don't have Ubuntu installed at de mo, due to migrating to a new hdd. But I think I solved it somehow in the end.

But nice find! :o