PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Infinite loop just before log in prompt

trudy_cool
December 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I just ran the Karmic Koala upgrade and am now locked out of my system.

At first it would boot up to a blank screen, but I fixed that with the ...
i915:modeset=0 acpi=off ... tricks mentioned elsewhere in these forums.

Now I see the startup sequence get itself stuck in an infinte loop:

I see the the bruise like splash screen
the screen blanks
I see a white border box form around a list of the machine's users
screen blanks again
go back to #1 again

Is there a thread already open on this? I didn't see one.

I would be very appreciative if someone would advise of the appropriate log file to look at to get a better idea of why this could be happening.

Is there a setting I can use to increase the depth of logging detail one can get at that stage of the boot sequence?

trudy_cool
December 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Some new data on this problem ...

On one attempt, I was able to log in and see my desktop ... but then it jumped back to the pre-login screen and fell into the previously mentioned loop.

I'd greatly appreciate some help.

trudy_cool
December 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
I have found that if I catch GRUB in time and fall out to a login prompt I can reconfigure X11, run startx and get back into my desktop.

Trouble is, it fails after a few minutes.

Can anyone, PLEASE, recommend which logs to look at to see what might have happened?

daklein
December 31st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Trudy, I can at least commiserate with you. I think I get the same behavior you describe. here is what I have tried so far. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368138
I can at least get in by selecting a recovery kernel, then command prompt as root, and then startx works. but really that's no help for wife & kids who want to use the computer......

So I would also very much like to figure this out. I wonder if it's a problem with GDM?

Dale