PDA

View Full Version : who said linux is more complicated?

mamamia88
December 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am trying to make myself into a restricted user on windows 7 much like a root user on linux. I am absolutely at a loss on how to do so. I asked on my digital life but they said that I have an administrator account but i am not "THE ADMINISTRATOR" what the heck does this even mean. does anyone know how to do what i want in windows 7?

nmccrina
December 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The first thing I did after installing Windows 7 was to create a new "standard user" account. At install, I had named the default account 'admin' to save my user name for the new one.

Then I just used the admin account to install stuff, and did everything else in my other one.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I am trying to make myself into a restricted user on windows 7 much like a root user on linux. I am absolutely at a loss on how to do so. I asked on my digital life but they said that I have an administrator account but i am not "THE ADMINISTRATOR" what the heck does this even mean. does anyone know how to do what i want in windows 7?

it's not hard.

mamamia88
December 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
so i have too make a second account just to do this?

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
sounds like you already have an admin account. just add a standard user account now.

mamamia88
December 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
ah ok went ahead and did it thanks this makes me feel alot more comfortable using windows. i would install ubuntu on this but i really don't feel like struggling with wireless drivers right now

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
what kind of laptop/desktop do you have?

mamamia88
December 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
i am using a samsung n130 i just got for christmas. it uses a realtek wireless card i believe. i already tried the live cd and it didn't connect to wireless

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
damn, that sucks :/

lisati
December 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
i am using a samsung n130 i just got for christmas. it uses a realtek wireless card i believe. i already tried the live cd and it didn't connect to wireless

Some Realtek cards seem to be supported, others seem to need a little tweaking. Do you know which one? The following at the terminal might be able to tell you:

lspci | grep Realtek
(I'll have to defer to the wisdom of others if its one that doesn't work without help)

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
yeah, i was googling and saw that some have gotten them to work with Realtek drivers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1321340

mamamia88
December 28th, 2009, 12:06 AM
cool man thanks doesn't look that bad might give it a try can you install ndiswrapper from live cd?

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
hm.. that's a good question and one i not have an answer for. hopefully someone will chime in that knows.

mamamia88
December 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
yeah hopefully i want to make sure it works before installing it.

handy
December 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM
so i have too make a second account just to do this?

Just like in most distros, you have a root account & your normal user account.

Same thing really.

Frak
December 28th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Just like in most distros, you have a root account & your normal user account.

Same thing really.
Yep.

RiceMonster
December 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
uhhh....

I just installed windows 7 yesterday. All I did was add another account, and it defaulted to a limited account. Then, when you go to do anything that requires admin privalges, UAC will automatically ask you for the password of your admin account.

Not hard to figure out.