PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Netbook Remix vs. Ubuntu Moblin Remix vs. Eeebuntu vs ...

moore.bryan
December 27th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Just got an Asus EeePC-1005HA for Christmas, immediately wiped the drive and put Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on it, but want to gather some input from the community about whether or not that's the best choice. I looked at Eeebuntu, but found it strange it was based on 9.04 and not 9.10. I'm also not concerned about remaining only in Ubuntu/Debian, since I'm also fairly comfortable with Fedora.

Thanks for any input!

aljoriz
December 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Since you're comfortable with Fedora, you should give Moblin 2.1 a spin via live install and see if you like it.

1005ha is a fairly new laptop so expect it to be fully supported when 10.04 comes out but as of the moment 9.10 works ok (but not great) on it.

EEEbuntu 3.0, which uses 9.04 does not support the land/ethernet/wi-fi of 1005ha since v3 was made before 1005ha was released. Some say Wi-Fi, seems to be limited for UNBR (ubuntu net book remix) but I am yet to test it.

Haven't tried UMR so I can't comment about it.. oh Congratulations.

moore.bryan
December 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks, aljoriz. I gave the Moblin v2.1 a shot last night and wasn't all that impressed, mostly because of the lack of packages in the install system. I have to admit, I was also not a huge fan of Fennec, but read many articles about how it's not really mature yet.

UNR seems to run just fine and UMR seems too buggy according to most posts. I'm wondering what other netbook remixes might be out there I'm missing.

Thanks, again, for your input!

jml
December 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
If your current distro does all you need it to do, I would say stick with it. I currently use EeeBuntu Standard version 2.0 on my EeePC 900HA and am very satisfied with it. The reason version 3.0 is based on Ubuntu 9.04 is the fact that 3.0 came out over six months ago. The dev's made a decision to base Version 4.0 on Debian Sid (unstable) They plan to create a distro with rolling releases, (install once, upgrade as needed.) Since this is a major change, the release date has slipped,from late December 2009, to approximately February 2010. The main reason I like Eeebuntu is that it it supported all of my 900HA's hardware out of the box, and it gave me access to all the restricted/proprietary codecs without having to jump through a lot of hoops. I hope that you enjoy your new netbook.

Joe

moore.bryan
December 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks, jml... I decided to download each of the "major" netbook remixes and use my thumbdrive to boot each. Then, I decided to hit-up the knowledge of Phoronix and see how each stacked-up... Ubuntu Netbook Remix won all my non-technical tests hands-down and, apparently, almost all of Phoronix's technical tests the same way.

I think I've found my Mecca.

davec64
December 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I've done the same as you tried various distro's for my Netbook (Acer A150), but I keep coming back to UNR!
I like the Desktop and you're hard pushed trying to find something that isn't in the repositories!

capricornus
March 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM
When in UNR, install LXDE and see what happens: the LXDE GUI-part runs really quicker than with GNOME.