PDA

View Full Version : $50 or $75 at Best Buy

Warpnow
December 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
So, I've got a $50 gift card to best buy. In addition, I have a $25 visa gift card. Any ideas on what to buy?

I'm thinking about...

a hard drive
a sansa fuze
...something else? Any ideas?

Hwæt
December 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Do not buy the Sansa Fuzes at Best Buy. They will not work with Linux, and they will not play OGG or FLAC, either. If you want a non-crippled one, you have to order it online from another retailer, but you have to make sure that in the technical specifications it says that it is compatible with Linux via MSC mode.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Do not buy the Sansa Fuzes at Best Buy. They will not work with Linux. The firmware is seriously messed up on them.

can't update it?

also, save for an Acer Revo, install XBMC, profit!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+AspireRevo+Nettop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Atom%26%23 153;+Processor/9535434.p?skuId=9535434&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9535434&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218120545008

http://xbmc.org/

Hwæt
December 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
can't update it?

Whenever I got one from there, it wouldn't even show up as anything in Windows Vista, and it probably won't in Windows 7, either. So I was, needless to say, unable to update it.

phillychease
December 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
best buy is over rated. too expensive. its all about fry's electronics!!!!!!

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Whenever I got one from there, it wouldn't even show up as anything in Windows Vista, and it probably won't in Windows 7, either. So I was, needless to say, unable to update it.

sounds like a crap product if it doesn't work with either of those OS's.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
best buy is over rated. too expensive. its all about fry's electronics!!!!!!

yes, because everyone has a fry's! (they don't)

jflaker
December 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Hmm, they don't?

raymondh
December 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Get more RAM, if still able to add such :)

raymondh
December 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hmm, they don't?

nope

phillychease
December 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.frys.com/

:D

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hmm, they don't?

that's what i said.

Hwæt
December 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM
sounds like a crap product if it doesn't work with either of those OS's.

The regular Sansa Fuzes work great, it's just the crippled ones that a lot of retailers sell that suck.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.frys.com/

:D

sorry, but most of the best deals are in-store. i know, i have two stores in town.

BenAshton24
December 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Buy a Zipit (http://www.zipitwireless.com) and install Linux on it :D

How2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxfn5BGF84#20m40s

EDIT: I just noticed that it's only available at Target, I thought it was Best Buy. Oh well, it's still awesome XD

phillychease
December 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
sorry, but most of the best deals are in-store. i know, i have two stores in town.

i suppose u live in cali since most stores are in cali?

jflaker
December 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Too bad you can't convert it to cash....it is probably worth more as cash than to buy at Best Buy.

Add some of your own money and get a network attached drive. Make sure it will work with Linux Clients or you may just have an expensive paperweight.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM
i suppose u live in cali since most stores are in cali?

nope, phoenix, and we have two.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The regular Sansa Fuzes work great, it's just the crippled ones that a lot of retailers sell that suck.

that's still Sansa's fault.

doorknob60
December 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hmm, they don't?

Unfortunately, no. The closest one to where I live is in Portland, and that's over 3 hours :( There's not that many of them, unfortunately. All I can say is don't buy any computer hardware (like RAM, Graphics Cards, etc.) at Best Buy, they waaay overprice that stuff. You can get stuff like iPods and Software and video games and stuff for average prices there, but avoid hardware.

nubimax
December 28th, 2009, 01:35 AM
My closest Fry's is in Tempe Arizona and it is a three days drive to get there, but it is worth the drive.
M.

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 01:41 AM
lol yep, that's the one that's closest to me, but fortunately it's only about 15 minutes away. the one in N. PHX is about 30 minutes away.

sandyd
December 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Unfortunately, no. The closest one to where I live is in Portland, and that's over 3 hours :( There's not that many of them, unfortunately. All I can say is don't buy any computer hardware (like RAM, Graphics Cards, etc.) at Best Buy, they waaay overprice that stuff. You can get stuff like iPods and Software and video games and stuff for average prices there, but avoid hardware.
thats why www.newegg.com exists! :D

Ms_Angel_D
December 28th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Get yourself a new xbox or ps game, or you could get some tunes or movies, as far as peripherals go I'm not sure really, I suppose it depends on what you need.

Exodist
December 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Only places I know where there are Frys Electronics is CA and AZ. I only wished there was on closer to my home. I miss Frys! :(

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
thats why www.newegg.com exists! :D

fry's is a newegg.com B&M practically. damn place is addicting (as is newegg)

Gramps
December 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Do not buy the Sansa Fuzes at Best Buy. They will not work with Linux, and they will not play OGG or FLAC, either. If you want a non-crippled one, you have to order it online from another retailer, but you have to make sure that in the technical specifications it says that it is compatible with Linux via MSC mode.

I bought mine at Best Buy and after I did updated the firmware it would play ogg files. I did all this using Linux, I don't own a Windows machine. I also have 2 Sansa Clips that I use with Linux and guess what no iTunes needed. They all show up as a USB drive.