PDA

View Full Version : Punks and Hippies!

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I was just wondering how many super cool punks and hippies we have here on the forums and using Ubuntu! I consider myself partly both *sits here with hemp gear and Anti-Flag blaring on his PC!* but yeah how about you guys?

Hoppi :)

jrusso2
December 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
You can dress like a hippie but I don't believe its possible in this day and age to be a real one.

Things were very different in the 60's as were they way the hippies thought.

Xbehave
December 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Spent a while hanging out with some anarchistic and dirty hippies, so I'm not pretty hippy like (don't like killing any animals including the annoying ones like wasps,spiders).

Fan of anti-flag,etc too (not enough to name them, but the punk stage is where i go when i don't know what to do at festivals)

edit: jrusso is right, i suppose i wouldn't be like a real hippie

djmh
December 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
as jrusso said, there's no way you're a real hippie. just an image and reason to not work, smoke pot, and not have direction in life.

hopefully you're just in your teens or very early twenties and this is just a short stage in your life.

Hwæt
December 27th, 2009, 09:55 PM
as jrusso said, there's no way you're a real hippie. just an image and reason to not work, smoke pot, and not have direction in life.

Hobos = People without direction in life and no job
Netherlands = Place with legal pot

Hippies = People without direction in life, who have no job, and smoke pot.

Hobos in the Netherlands = Hippies

Groucho Marxist
December 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
You can dress like a hippie but I don't believe its possible in this day and age to be a real one.

Things were very different in the 60's as were they way the hippies thought.

Smoking pot and listening to music all day; surely, this will change the world for the better!

Groucho Marxist
December 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hobos = People without direction in life and no job
Netherlands = Place with legal pot

Hippies = People without direction in life, who have no job, and smoke pot.

Hobos in the Netherlands = Hippies

+1 =D>

"Your ideas intrigue me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter." - Homer J. Simpson

bruno9779
December 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think that the word hippie is deprecated. And anachronistic

In most european countries it means: badly dressed left wing person.

And, smoking pot is great and all, I do it from breakfast, but I don't think that I am gonna change the world with my habit.

Maybe the title should have read:

Beatniks or hippies

phillychease
December 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
metal head here! :)
but i listen to some punk (i.e. the casualties, the exploit, DK, etc.)

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM

hopefully you're just in your teens or very early twenties and this is just a short stage in your life.

opinions like that almost make me feel ill :(

In this case, I actually HOPE you are just using this as a way to vent the fact you just don't like me very much! heh

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Some of these opinions are so sad :(

I genuinely feel kinda disappointed in some people... how can you see hippies in that way? Many of them are amazing and want to change the world for the better, they can be so passionate and... I can't believe people see them like that :(

underquark
December 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm sure you can be a punk if you want to since members of the group(s) referred to by outsiders as "punks" may also referred to themselves as "punks". I don't, however, recall any hippies referring to themselves as such. I also can't remember any hippie music (but then they say that if you can remember it you weren't really there, man).

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
opinions like that almost make me feel ill :(

In this case, I actually HOPE you are just using this as a way to vent the fact you just don't like me very much! heh

actually, i like you just fine.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Some of these opinions are so sad :(

I genuinely feel kinda disappointed in some people... how can you see hippies in that way? Many of them are amazing and want to change the world for the better, they can be so passionate and... I can't believe people see them like that :(

they WANT to change the world for the better, but most do absolutely nothing about it. Eugene, OR, for instance has a plethora of hippies - mostly a nuisance for the town.

mehaga
December 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Another nice one from Hoppi :)
Used to be both, too old for that sh** now :P

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
they WANT to change the world for the better, but most do absolutely nothing about it. Eugene, OR, for instance has a plethora of hippies - mostly a nuisance for the town.

well at least now you're saying most and not just implying they're all like that. A quick visit to any of the major hippy forums and communities online and a chat will disprove most of the negative comments here...

I wish people weren't so horribly judgemental, I think it's supposed to indicate insecurity.

Hippies and punks modern and old can have wonderful passion and do amazing things, they can also often be very confident about their views and be actively working with charities and for philanthropic causes, or opposing corruption and greed. I have met many (hippies mainly) and they were awesome :)

joey-elijah
December 27th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I don't consider myself to be a hippie or a punk (someone called me all "shorts n' skateboard" once, which was very true!) but I've got plenty of "hippie" friends though - maybe it's a UK thing?

As for someone who mentioned pot - none of my mates touch weed with a barge-poll - they've seen how it messes people up, but they'd happily call themselves "hippie-ish".

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
well at least now you're saying most and not just implying they're all like that. A quick visit to any of the major hippy forums and communities online and a chat will disprove most of the negative comments here...

I wish people weren't so horribly judgemental, I think it's supposed to indicate insecurity.

Hippies and punks modern and old can have wonderful passion and do amazing things, they can also often be very confident about their views and be actively working with charities and for philanthropic causes, or opposing corruption and greed. I have met many (hippies mainly) and they were awesome :)

haha, insecurity. not dealing with the world on a daily basis and not having responsibilities other than paying your cable bill is insecurity.

also, i never said "every single one". that goes without saying that when people post things about a certain group of individuals that they mean "generally" or similar. i thought that was common knowledge. guess not.

phrostbyte
December 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
There is a good documentary they sometimes show on the History Channel about the Hippies, and their effects on modern society.

Not sure if this is a legit link or not, you decide :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7434881801914630046

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I don't consider myself to be a hippie or a punk (someone called me all "shorts n' skateboard" once, which was very true!) but I've got plenty of "hippie" friends though - maybe it's a UK thing?

As for someone who mentioned pot - none of my mates touch weed with a barge-poll - they've seen how it messes people up, but they'd happily call themselves "hippie-ish".

I'm not sure, I thought it was just as strong in America still. There is a wicked and very large American hippy forum on the net, and there is also a great little UK one over here too, I used to frequent them often and made lots of cool friends :)

haha, insecurity. not dealing with the world on a daily basis and not having responsibilities other than paying your cable bill is insecurity.

also, i never said "every single one". that goes without saying that when people post things about a certain group of individuals that they mean "generally" or similar. i thought that was common knowledge. guess not.

I give up on you man, you are just too closed off and judgemental for me, and too negative :(

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
concur totally with pwnst*r. Also, you don't need to be a hippie or punk to be passionate about something or try to change the world. From what i have seen here, most of those groups, punks, emo fans, and the countless idiots who think the world operates exactly as seen in hip hop music videos just get together and drink and cause general nuisance.

Sure they are extremely passionate, about vodka perhaps, at least the ones i see here. On the other hand, I have met a few hippies, and they were nice.

t0p
December 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I was just wondering how many super cool punks and hippies we have here on the forums and using Ubuntu! I consider myself partly both *sits here with hemp gear and Anti-Flag blaring on his PC!* but yeah how about you guys?

I find it amusing that you can "consider yourself partly both". In my youth, when I was more radical than the middle-aged slob I have become, me and my punkish comrades had fun baiting hippies. Their laid-back attitude and artificial pacifism annoyed us. So we annoyed them. Ah yes, the good old days...

Incidentally, there's nothing particularly "hippie" about smoking pot. Maybe back in the 60s it was thought of like that - but nowadays people from all walks of life take illegal drugs.

schauerlich
December 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I go to UC Davis (http://daviswiki.org/People%27s_Republic_of_Davis), I'm surrounded by hippies (http://daviswiki.org/Whole_Earth_Festival).

Exodist
December 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I am neither punk nor hippie. I find my self trapped between industrial/goth and computer geek slapped with with the attitude of being in the military for over 6 1/2 years.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/film/staff/constable/matrix3.jpg
Sorta....

crimesaucer
December 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/_44227383_youngones2_bbcpicgall.jpg

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/_44227383_youngones2_bbcpicgall.jpg

best show ever.

steveneddy
December 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Hippies aren't pot smoking do nothings.

That is just a stereotype.

Being a hippy is a lifestyle, a state of mind, a means to an end, man.

People today smoking dope and wearing hemp clothing aren't hippies. Hippies are hip, cool and self supporting people who are usually self supporting or self employed.

Just because you smoke dope, listen to protest music and hate the establishment doesn't make you a hippy.

wewantutopia
December 28th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I find it amusing that you can "consider yourself partly both".

The punk/hippy world view is actually quite similar. I'm not talking the pop culture version of either. Socially conscience, community based/anarchistic.

dmizer
December 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Closed for review.

Edit:
It seems that this topic cannot be discussed without including stereotypes and derogatory remarks, so it will remain closed.

Thank you for participating.