PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Installing Gnome Shell

FatalChaos
December 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm trying to build the latest version of gnome shell in karmic koala, and everything works fine until I try jhbuild build. Here's the error I end up getting:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Pango-1.0.gir', needed by `Gdk-2.0.gir'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/william/gnome-shell/source/gir-repository/gir'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/william/gnome-shell/source/gir-repository'
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** error during stage build of gir-repository: ########## Error running make *** [2/7]

Any ideas?

bruno9779
December 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
same here

dr88dr88
December 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have the same problem i have not yet found a solution.

bruno9779
December 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I haven't found a solution, but a workaround: install it from repos

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

then run with:

gnome-shell --replace

to go back to your gnome desktop type in the Alt+F2 prompt:

debugexit

Check this out for some more tricks and shortcuts:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

It works perfectly for me and looks real good.

bruno9779
December 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Here goes what it looks like on my box:

http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/35765/screenshot_002_cSawU1.png (http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/35765/screenshot_002_cSawU1.png)

BobCFC
December 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately I can tell from the screenshot that the repos are quite old.

As I write this the builds from Git are working again:)

It's not hard once you get used to it - I build gnome-shell most mornings when I log in.

EDIT: sometimes it helps to delete the gnome-shell directory and start a clean build, but you will loose your working desktop if it doesn't work so maybe just rename the directory.

bruno9779
December 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
so, jbuild and automake 1.8 are deprecated since jaunty and hardy, I have only some old debs for that
is this really the way to go? a dependency hell for a tech demo?
gnome-shell devs, maybe should put up a ppa or something with the dependencies needed by their code...

sathyz
December 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
same here. Any Solution ??

ijefferies@fastmail.net
December 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Same problem also using script but all works fine from repo.

FatalChaos
January 1st, 2010, 03:56 AM
I just tried building it on lucid lynx (figured I'd give lucid lynx a try since I've been having bad luck w/ karmic and my experience w/ testing karmic koala was pretty good), but it still gives me the same error. Could someone who has managed to successfuly build gnome-shell (recently) post a guide?

BobCFC
January 5th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I just tried on a fresh install and got stuck again it looks like I had some files left over from a previously successful build.

I got it working by copying these Pango files over from my other partition, SORRY 64bit ONLY I think:

Put the two .gir files in gnome-shell/install/share/gir-1.0

Put the two .typelib files in gnome-shell/install/lib64/girepository-1.0

Finally make a second copy of Pango-1.0.gir and put it in a different folder: gnome-shell/source/gir-repository/gir

MikeCamel
January 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I've managed to build on a machine which I'd previously had working, though I needed to remove the gnome-shell directory, .jhbuildrc and start from scratch.

However, on a clean karmic 32bit machine, it won't build. I don't seem to have anything called Pango*.gir at all in my gnome-shell tree.

Any suggestions?

-Mike.

MikeCamel
January 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've managed to build on a machine which I'd previously had working, though I needed to remove the gnome-shell directory, .jhbuildrc and start from scratch.

However, on a clean karmic 32bit machine, it won't build. I don't seem to have anything called Pango*.gir at all in my gnome-shell tree.

Oh, and though it builds, it won't run, so that's no good.

kamembe
January 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
For those wanting to build it themselves, there's been a bug raised for gnome-shell. You can find it here:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=605724

The same thing happens on Fedora 12, which I use. Looking forward to it's being fixed, and being able to see the latest gnome-shell again. Loving it so far.