PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded 9.04 to 9.10 Now no Mouse

Ishigawa
December 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hello,
I have a HP DV5220 Laptop, which I had Ubuntu version 9.04 installed on as a dual boot system, with XP Home Edition for the other os. XP was on it first, so I had installed the 9.04 using the partitioner included with the install.

Everything went without a hitch with the 9.04 install, and although I never really used Ubuntu any, I would occasionally boot into it to check it out, even got online with it a few times, but just never really had the time to learn anything about it.
Everything including the mouse, worked fine.

Now since Upgrading to 9.10, the mouse will not work in the new version. It did work throughout the installation or upgrade, but never worked after install was complete.
(It works fine when I boot into XP though.)

Sorry for the long post, but I believe the information below, may be where the trouble started from.........

Over Xmas, my nephew who loves Ubuntu happened to be here, so I asked him if he knew a way to go in somewhere and change it to boot by default to XP, so that is what he did. No problems with what he did. Everything was still ok at that point.
Later that day, I upgraded it to 9.10, and that was when the problem with the mouse started.....

I've got an idea of what might have happened, but I don't have a clue on how to fix it...
While doing the upgrade, I remember it asking me which way to go on overwriting a file, or using the file as it was. It mentioned something to the effect that if there had been any changes to anything in the old 9.04 that I might want to keep the old file.
I thought it sounded like this file sounded like the one my nephew had made the change on for booting to XP as default, so I kept the old file. Sorry I can't say what that file was, but I did keep the old.
Now, I don't know if that is why the mouse no longer works or not, but I know very little about Ubuntu, so I really don't know what to do at this point.

I also decided to set my Hp netbook up at the same time, only it was a fresh install. No mouse problems, but I can't get the wireless to turn on with it. It's a hp 2133 netbook. I will make a separate post for it.
Thanks for any help in advance.