PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dell Optiplex GX1 Won't Install Ubuntu

Gillette
December 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have an elderly computer that originally had Windows 2000 on it. I initially tried to install Xubuntu on it and it went through most of the installationi but then ended with a blank screen. So then I tried installing Ubuntu 7.1, since I had a disc with it on it. That failed saying I needed to install the 32 bit version.

This computer has an Intel II, 448 mhz processor and 256 RAM.

So then I downloaded 9.10 for 32 bit computers. When I would boot up the computer, initially I would get a screen with language selection and English as the default. On the left side it started a count down from 30 seconds to 0. Anyway when I hit enter, it would go to the installation options. When I would select Install Ubuntu, nothing would happen. After you hit install you could not move to any of the other options. You just have to do control, Alt, Delete to get out of that.

I also downloaded 9.4 with the exact same results.

I ended up installing XP on this computer and it is working fine. I want to give this computer away, but not with XP on it, but rather with some version of Ubuntu.

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Your machine doesn't have enough RAM to run the LiveCD. If you want to install Ubuntu on that machine, use the alternate CD instead of the desktop CD. It's a text based but should be real easy to follow.

Gillette
December 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Should I choose the i386.iso or the amd64.iso?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
i386 all the way. There is no way you would be able to install the x86_64 version on that antique machine. ;)

Gillette
December 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks. I got it installed.