PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a Wii Soon...

Psumi
December 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Any Games I should check out? I'm mainly an RPG fan to be honest.

I already have a PS3 (120gb slim) as well.

What I will be getting with the Wii (I hope):

-- Tales of Symphonia (USED)
-- Gamecube Controller (Yobo, New for 14 USD)
-- Gamecube Memory Card

Anywhere you think I'd find a better controller for gamecube? Or memory for gamecube games? Or does the wii store gamecube games on SD Cards as well?

I know the wii (new) comes with the following:

-- Wii Console
-- Wii Sports
-- Wiimote and Nunchuck

and I already have AA batteries (Rechargable NiMH Energizer I believe.) I also already have this game: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Psumi
December 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
So I'm guessing no one has a wii?

tom66
December 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I have a Wii, it is very fun. Try Wii Sports Restort & the Wii MotionPlus thingy...

Cam42
December 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sports Resort is fun, but doesn't work as well as advertised
Get Mario Kart. And Smash Bros if you're in to that.

Psumi
December 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'll try to find a copy of brawl if I can, but new ones are hard to come by.

ratcheer
December 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
We have had a PS3 for two years and my 11 year old wanted a Wii for Christmas. I thought it was stupid, but I got it for him, anyway. And now I agree, it is a lot of fun.

He just got a Smash Brothers Brawl at Target, last night. He also has Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Sports, Sports Resort, and something about Donkey Kong. He is playing them so much I can't use my TV to watch my new BluRay movies.

Tim

bashveank
December 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Brawl is fun, though a bit too dumbed down. Look up Brawl+. It's a mod for Brawl that balances the game quite a bit.

Anyway, Zelda: Twilight Princess is fun if you're into adventure RPGs. The Metroid Prime series is also very fun if you get the version that's been retooled for the Wii's controls. Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros are must haves. Even if you're not a fan of the genre. They're that fun.

Finally, its a Gamecube game, but Eternal Darkness is one of the most brilliant Adventure RPGs I've ever played. It'll play fine on your Wii.

Marvin666
December 28th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Messed with a freind's wii some, but didn't like it. I'll just stick to the psX series.

xuCGC002
December 28th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Call of Duty: World at War and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are excellent. I also liked Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime: Corruption.

marshmallow1304
December 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Mario Kart Wii is a lot of fun by itself and it's probably the most fun I've ever had playing games with other people. I spent a couple hours with Super Mario Galaxy and it is also fun. The Harry Potter game is good if you like that sort of thing. Also, MadWorld looks good; it's at the top of my list.

You can get WiiWare and classic ports from the Wii Shop channel. World of Goo is the best available, and the catalog is always growing.

There are also a great number of homebrew apps and games that are fairly easy to install if you have an SD card.

Or does the wii store gamecube games on SD Cards as well?
No.

qalimas
December 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I noticed you said Tales of Symphonia, but hten mentioned the gamecube controller.

There is a sequel to the game for the Wii: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

It's as good as the first.

Also, check out the Rayman Rabbid games, they are not long-lasting, so don't buy new, but they are fun for a while.

Twilight Princess is a must-buy.

Trival Pursuit and Monopoly are both good if you like their original versions you'll love the Wii version (not recommended for single-player, need a group of friends over).

Also, there are a couple of Spyro games, which are another must-have set if you have ever played Spyro before. One of them, you can do co-op, and fly, anytime (FINALLY!).

Hope it helps :D

PS: Always try to get a video review of a game before you buy it, Gamespot usually does a good job.

thegreenblob
December 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
If you like shooters, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles (a rail shooter), and Call of Duty World at War, I enjoyed all of them.

And Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, and Super Mario Galaxy.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is also fun.

I know none of these are RPGs... but... everyone can use some variety. :P

Psumi
December 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I know none of these are RPGs... but... everyone can use some variety. :P

Fire Emblem is a Strategy RPG.

Contrary to what everyone believes, Zelda games are not RPGs. They're all Action/Adventure. I'll check out some of these suggestions though.

Xbehave
December 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Wii's can be easily be softmoded so you can get:
Homebrew games, these are fairly limited (there are FoF, doom, quake, etc, but not a huge range)
Emulators (depending on where you live it may be illegal to download roms even if you have an original copy of the game for the old platform sitting next to it :confused:)
Replacement loaders (e.g use a pen drive if you CBA to move discs about, which also let you be naughty and try any game before you buy it, but that is naughty and i would never condone such naughty behavior)

3rdalbum
December 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Make sure you get Bully - it feels like it was designed especially for the Wii's controls, even though it wasn't originally. It'll take you tens of hours to complete the main storyline!

Mario Kart Wii is a must.

The Conduit is pretty good too if you like FPSes. The graphical engine is quite complex for the Wii, but it would look better at a higher resolution.

Disaster: Day Of Crisis got 'meh' reviews, but I enjoyed it. I especially liked the Time Crisis-style shooting sections.

AVOID Madworld. It got a massive amount of hype for a year before it was released, but was a huge disappointment. I spent more time playing Balloon Fight on Virtual Console... well almost.

thegreenblob
December 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Fire Emblem is a Strategy RPG.

Contrary to what everyone believes, Zelda games are not RPGs. They're all Action/Adventure. I'll check out some of these suggestions though.

Oh. I thought it was just strategy. But either way I thought it was a fun game. :)

whiskeylover
December 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I bought the old classic "Super Mario" port for the Wii from WiiWare from inside the shopping channel.

It rocks!

Psumi
December 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well, I got Brawl, the original tales of symphonia, an intec 123 block gamecube memory card, a wireless gamestop gamecube controller.

Now all I need is the wii, lol; and if I can find one, Mario Kart.

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = Awesome!

Sports Resort is way better than the original.

Buy a component video adapter and set your Wii settings for 480p. It really does make a big difference.

Wii's can be easily be softmoded so you can get:
Homebrew games, these are fairly limited (there are FoF, doom, quake, etc, but not a huge range)
Emulators (depending on where you live it may be illegal to download roms even if you have an original copy of the game for the old platform sitting next to it :confused:)
Homebrew is awesome, but my experience is that the apps/games are buggy and it takes forever to install things from the Wii Homebrew Browser. DVD playback is helpful, but the audio is way too quiet.

Hyper Tails
December 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
New Super Mario Bros Wii

Kick azz came!!!

Hyper Tails
December 29th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = Awesome!

Sports Resort is way better than the original.

Buy a component video adapter and set your Wii settings for 480p. It really does make a big difference.

Homebrew is awesome, but my experience is that the apps/games are buggy and it takes forever to install things from the Wii Homebrew Browser. DVD playback is helpful, but the audio is way too quiet.

+1

I got the component cables connected to my wii to my HD TV
I can't live without that homebrew channel also
Plenty of games on my emulators EX: ecco the dolphin tides of time and sonic the hedgehog (I got a ton of games on my homebrew sd card)

Psumi
December 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'll think about the component cables, but I doubt I'll use them. Also, I won't use homebrew. If I sense someone else is cheating (like a lot of people do on the nDS) then I'll just quit the game I'm playing with them.

andlinux21
December 30th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I like the Wii I have Boom Blox, EA Interactive(Fitness), House of the Dead, Mario Party 8 as well as Mario Kart. It's pretty fun where the whole family can play. My nephew has the XBox 360 and his brother has the PS3 so we have things covered but I dont play either of those.

marshmallow1304
December 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Also, I won't use homebrew. If I sense someone else is cheating (like a lot of people do on the nDS) then I'll just quit the game I'm playing with them.

???. It's not for cheating (at least how I use it).

cenzorrll
December 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
if you didn't already have a ps3 i would say hack that shiznit, i thought i would use my wii to play games, but now it's become my media player. since being hacked i can watch dvd's, play music and video, all from shared folders (and accessing those folders is more stable than my friends ps3). and i think i haven't even scraped the surface of what's possible. it's a good little machine.

oh, and wii sports is where it's at.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'll think about the component cables, but I doubt I'll use them.Well, that's your choice. It really does make a huge difference. The people who say it doesn't make a difference are the ones who don't know you have to change to 480p in the settings. If you don't do that, it won't make much difference at all. If you don't have an HDTV, though, it doesn't even matter.

Also, I won't use homebrew. If I sense someone else is cheating (like a lot of people do on the nDS) then I'll just quit the game I'm playing with them.Homebrew just soft hacks your Wii so that you can run apps and games that average people make. It's fairly safe because it just adds a channel, and you can only run homebrew apps through that channel. It also gives you DVD and multimedia capabilities, which Nintendo isn't interested in allowing. There is even a SuperTux port. As long as you stick to the software listed in the homebrew app browser, you'll be safe. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it, though.

since being hacked i can watch dvd's, play music and video, all from shared foldersDo you have trouble with your DVD playback being way too quiet? I've got the software volume turned up to 100, and I have to turn my TV volume up as far as it goes to hear people talking.

Psumi
December 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Any idea on how to turn on the system to use 480p?

I have up to 1080i (720p) on my TV =/ Is it easy to change the progressive setting?

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Any idea on how to turn on the system to use 480p?

I have up to 1080i (720p) on my TV =/ Is it easy to change the progressive setting?

Go into your Wii settings and go to Screen->TV resolutions. If you don't have the optional component cables, you can only choose 480i. If you have them hooked up, you'll be able to switch it.

Edit:
You get to your settings by clicking the circle that says Wii in the bottom left of the screen, then click the Wii Settings button.

opnickc
December 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Go to your system settings (Wii button in lower left corner of main menu) and look for screen resolution.

BTW - Get Dead Space: Extraction. Best game that no-one played.

I'd also recommend:
Excite Truck (very underrated, great arcade-style racer)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Star Wars: TFU (the PS3 version will have much better graphics, but nothing can beat thrusting the nunchuck forward to do a force push :P)
Resident Evil 4 (unless you've already played it a bajillion times)
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (if you're into that kind of game)

And, of course, the games other people have said (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc.)

Anyway, these should get you started. Have fun! :popcorn:

unavenged
December 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
And for fun you can connect your Wii Remote to Ubuntu, all you need is a bluetooth dongle and if you like you can build your own USB Wii Sensor Bar.... Check out these links...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CWiiD

http://terbidium.com/content/projects/wiihacks/usb_sensorbar.php

ratcheer
December 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Our new Wii seems to be playing 480p right out of the box. At least, that's what my TV's info display is reporting. I will look at the Wii setting, the next chance I get.

Tim

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you love RGPs you need to get Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's for gamecube but I've had it since it came out and I still can get tons of fun out of it. Super Paper Mario is the new one for the wii, but it's a platformer with some RPG elements. If you like PM:TTYD you should download Paper Mario from the Wii store. It for the N64 but it a really good game too.

Psumi
December 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM
If you love RGPs you need to get Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's for gamecube but I've had it since it came out and I still can get tons of fun out of it. Super Paper Mario is the new one for the wii, but it's a platformer with some RPG elements. If you like PM:TTYD you should download Paper Mario from the Wii store. It for the N64 but it a really good game too.

How many points is the original Paper Mario? I'd love to play it again (Though that princess peach cooking scene was annoying -_-)

yester64
December 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
How is paper mario? I loved the game on the game cube. Since it dropped in price, i really consider buying one again.
Right now i have a xbox and i could not get myself to buy a ps3 (even though there are some nice games too).

aaaantoine
December 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
What, no love for Punch-Out!! ? Eh, I guess it's more of a nostalgia piece anyway.

I have Paper Mario (N64) on the Wii. If I remember correctly, most N64 VC games are 1000 points. It's fun, but I didn't finish it. Moved on to the next shiny thing before I could.

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Super Paper Mario is about 30 hours long even though it is a platformer, It was fun for about 2 playthroughs and the 3rd was kind of dull.

yester64
December 31st, 2009, 12:06 AM
if you didn't already have a ps3 i would say hack that shiznit, i thought i would use my wii to play games, but now it's become my media player. since being hacked i can watch dvd's, play music and video, all from shared folders (and accessing those folders is more stable than my friends ps3). and i think i haven't even scraped the surface of what's possible. it's a good little machine.

oh, and wii sports is where it's at.

I assume its not hdtv, doh. But thats good news. Maybe its easier to get the Wii playing all the movies which the xbox won't play.
Can you give a link on how to softmod the Wii.

Psumi
December 31st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Can you give a link on how to softmod the Wii.

I suggest retracting that statement on a forum, unless it's a hacking forum like codemasters-project.net. Some states have made it illegal to mod a console (even softmod.)

yester64
December 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM
I suggest retracting that statement on a forum, unless it's a hacking forum like codemasters-project.net. Some states have made it illegal to mod a console (even softmod.)

I apologize for this. Was not my intension to violate the rules.

Psumi
December 31st, 2009, 12:51 AM
I apologize for this. Was not my intension to violate the rules.

lol, it's all right, I should remind you it's as enforced as patents. But don't send your consoles to SONY or Nintendo to be repaired.

graabein
December 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Me and my girlfriend enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy and Tiger Woods golf.

Psumi
December 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Tiger Woods golf.

http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/i/m/imhappyplz.gif

Confuzius
December 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
The new super mario bros is great.

But so far my favourite game is the homebrew "Super Mario War" which is a total riot with 4 players.
It's also available on linux if you're not into modding your wii! http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/

Psumi
January 1st, 2010, 05:02 AM
Got the Wii finally. It's nice and cozy :3