PDA

View Full Version : What an amazing concept!.../home on it's own partition

stuart.reinke
December 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I know this is nothing new, but I just recently got confident enough with partitioning during installation to set up things manually.

I have a bad habit of tweaking my system until I break it. My preferred course of action is to reinstall and start over tweaking again.:)

With /home on a separate partition, all my data, downloads, and settings remain in tact.

I think this is my new favorite feature in Linux.

I guess I have no question for anyone to answer so I'll just invite comment on the subject.

dragos240
December 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I know this is nothing new, but I just recently got confident enough with partitioning during installation to set up things manually.

I have a bad habit of tweaking my system until I break it. My preferred course of action is to reinstall and start over tweaking again.:)

With /home on a separate partition, all my data, downloads, and settings remain in tact.

I think this is my new favorite feature in Linux.

I guess I have no question for anyone to answer so I'll just invite comment on the subject.

Enjoy. Make sure to edit /etc/fstab accordingly!

stuart.reinke
December 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Enjoy. Make sure to edit /etc/fstab accordingly!

please explain. what is /ect/fstab and what needs to be edited and why?

gs777
December 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
u just used a feature of linux

dragos240
December 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
please explain. what is /ect/fstab and what needs to be edited and why?

If you are using ubuntu, then you don't need to. However many distros need to have the fstab edited when partitioning is done. fstab is a config file that tells your linux system what to mount at boot and where to mount it.

stuart.reinke
December 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
If you are using ubuntu, then you don't need to. However many distros need to have the fstab edited when partitioning is done. fstab is a config file that tells your linux system what to mount at boot and where to mount it.

I see, thanks. I am using Ubuntu so that's probably why I didn't know about it or what it is for.

castrojo
December 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM

You know the installer has an option to do a clean install while keeping your /home intact already right? No need for a separate partition. ;)

FWIW, I keep my /home on a separate drive entirely, which is pretty handy.

stuart.reinke
December 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
You know the installer has an option to do a clean install while keeping your /home intact already right? No need for a separate partition. ;)

FWIW, I keep my /home on a separate drive entirely, which is pretty handy.

I've never seen that. Probably looked past it a hundred times. Where is it?

pelle.k
December 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM

I've done that for years. However, i don't save my home when reinstalling. It's just that i like to keep it separated from the rest of the system, in case i fill up my home, the system disk still hums along nicely.

That said, i always keep a data partition that spans almost the whole HD, where i keep my stuff (organized with subfolders, of course). Back in the days, i had to add it after an install (in /etc/fstab), but nowadays, i can just add it manually in the installer.
Even if one doesn't add it during an install, gnome can mount it for you when you click it. There's a downside to the latter method though - if such a partition has say a .jpg that you use as a background image, said partition has to be mounted before gnome starts up, naturally.

macogw
December 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I've never seen that. Probably looked past it a hundred times. Where is it?

Go into Manual Partitioning, tell it to use the same / partition as before, and tell it not to format.

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
u just used a feature of linux

Pretty much every modern OS has that feature. Yes, even Windows since at least XP.

chriswyatt
December 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I used to do the same thing with Windows, I used to keep Windows setup and My Documents / Desktop on a separate partition, made clean installing Windows much less of a headache :).