PDA

View Full Version : Windows.....

forsaken_pariah
December 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
So, due to rather unfortunate circumstances, I'm having to use Windows right now for the first time in several months... Besides the fact that it crawls like a slug, it keeps constantly trying to automatically restart, and it's just generally annoying, I'm finding myself surprisingly unaccustomed to the whole taskbar thing...

Does anybody know of any way to separate the window list from the same bar as the start menu? Right now I have everything crammed into one little bar. I want the start button, system tray, and quick launch at the top and the window list at the bottom, like in Gnome. Failing that, I'd at least like to spread it out a little... There's too much going on on this taskbar....

Grr this whole thing is just annoying... I can't wait to boot back into Ubuntu....

Sahkolihaa
December 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's possible to move the window list. :(

etnlIcarus
December 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell_replacement#List_of_Windows_shells

underquark
December 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
You can give yourself a bit more space by:
1 Unlock Taskbar
2 Increase to double height (drag top border)
3 Set to Autohide
4 Re-lock Taskbar

forsaken_pariah
December 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell_replacement#List_of_Windows_shells
Ah yes incredible. Can't believe I've never heard of this stuff before. Fortunately I only lasted about 20 minutes after that last post before I had no choice but to reboot in Ubuntu. But I'll definitely check that out next time I'm forced to cross over to the dark side.

While we're at it.... Does anybody else think that an OS automatically deciding to restart itself is absolutely absurd? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

adeypoop
December 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Can't believe I've never heard of this stuff before.

me too! Windows must be more modular than I've been giving it credit for.

:shock:

Sahkolihaa
December 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
While we're at it.... Does anybody else think that an OS automatically deciding to restart itself is absolutely absurd? That makes absolutely no sense to me.That's just Windows Update - you can change those settings.

forsaken_pariah
December 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That's just Windows Update - you can change those settings.

Yes I know, and I did, but it's still kinda crazy that it does that by default.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
cool story, bro

Sahkolihaa
December 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes I know, and I did, but it's still kinda crazy that it does that by default.With the amount of vulnerabilities Windows has in general? Not really - most users won't know what they need to watch out for.

etnlIcarus
December 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
You either turn off Automatic Updates, set them not to install automatically but then never pay any attention to the system tray icon or enable Automatic Updates and have it nag you (admin account) or force you (limited account) to reboot every half hour.

Swagman
December 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I installed BricoPack (http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/en-crystal-clear.htm) <---- Clicky

on my XP partition.

Not exactly gnome. More like KDE.

Screengrab ( http://www.upload3r.com/serve/271209/1261928927.jpg)

dragos240
December 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
cool story, bro

Was that REALLY necessary? Did it add anything useful to the thread?

RiceMonster
December 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM

cool story bro

dragos240
December 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
cool story bro

http://www.freefoto.com/images/41/07/41_07_54---No-U-Turn-Road-Traffic-Sign_web.jpg

etnlIcarus
December 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Absolutely: it made me laugh. If my entertainment isn't a worthy goal, I don't know what is.

TheNessus
December 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM
So, due to rather unfortunate circumstances, I'm having to use Windows right now for the first time in several months... Besides the fact that it crawls like a slug, it keeps constantly trying to automatically restart, and it's just generally annoying, I'm finding myself surprisingly unaccustomed to the whole taskbar thing...

Does anybody know of any way to separate the window list from the same bar as the start menu? Right now I have everything crammed into one little bar. I want the start button, system tray, and quick launch at the top and the window list at the bottom, like in Gnome. Failing that, I'd at least like to spread it out a little... There's too much going on on this taskbar....

Grr this whole thing is just annoying... I can't wait to boot back into Ubuntu....

Yes, get a dock app like stardock. then move the taskbar up. use the dock at the bottom for a windows list.

too simple.

hoppipolla
December 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM

as far as I know there's no way to do this with the straight-forward Windows DE panels, although you might find some kind of independent tool online to add a new panel or something.

And yeah I got the constant restarts too. You could always only enable updates (to Windows and AV if applicable) when you need it, so it won't force updates on you. That's what I do with AVG on Win 7, although I don't remember Win 7 itself forcing restarts on me, it's been a while though. Fingers crossed you'll be back on Ubuntu soon ^_^

cool story, bro

yeah it's shocking that people on a Ubuntu Linux forum often don't enjoy using Windows isn't it? xD

etnlIcarus
December 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
XP behaves badly with the taskbar at the top. Without additional tools like xwinmove, you'll end up with windows stuck behind the taskbar.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM