PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to run Firefox on Wine.

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Well, I have decided to try and run Firefox on Wine.
I used to play on GaiaOnline's online roleplaying game called "zOMG", but it wouldn't connect to the servers when I am on Ubuntu, but it does it fine on Windows.
So, it seems that the ONLY way to do it is by running Firefox on Wine to play it..
So....how do I run Firefox on Wine?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Well, you could download the windows version (.exe) and see if you can install it with wine.

Otherwise, try ie4linux.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Well, you could download the windows version (.exe) and see if you can install it with wine.

Otherwise, try ie4linux.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux
Ok, this may be able to fix my problem. Thanks!
I will try this, and if I STILL can't access the webpage, I will post back.

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Ok, it worked, however.
When I reach the page that plays the game, it get this message:
"You need Adobe Flash Player 9"
So....any idea how I can run FIREFOX on Wine?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Have you installed a flash plugin for your browser(s)?

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Have you installed a flash plugin for your browser(s)?
For my Firefox browser, I have installed:
"DivX Web Player"
DivX Web Player version 1.4.0.233
"QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0"
"Shockwave Player 10.0 r42"
"VLC Multimedia Plugin"
"Windows Media Player Plug-in 10"

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
See if you can download the windows version of firefox. Then, install it with wine and see what happens.

cd ~/Desktop
wine filename.exe
Assuming that you have already installed and configured wine first before you use it.

p.s. You probably need java plugin too. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras package for all the plugins then.

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
See if you can download the windows version of firefox. Then, install it with wine and see what happens.

cd ~/Desktop
wine filename.exeAssuming that you have already installed and configured wine first before you use it.

p.s. You probably need java plugin too. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras package for all the plugins then.
Ummm.....for some reason, I am now being told that my password is incorrect even though I KNOW that it is the right password...
Can you tell me what happened?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM
You mean when you run the sudo?

Didn't you have that problem the first time you ran the "sudo fdisk -l" command?

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM
You mean when you run the sudo?

Didn't you have that problem the first time you ran the "sudo fdisk -l" command?
Well, ever since I downloaded and installed the "Internet Explorer on Wine" package and installed it, my computer has been running slowly, so I decided to uninstall it. I deleted the files, and was going to "Synaptic Package Manager" to uninstall it there too. It asked for my password, I gave it, it told me "Wrong Password". I tried it on "Users and Groups" and it accepted my password. It accepts it at other places, but not at Synaptic. Help?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Maybe it's time to reboot.

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Ok, I will restart my computer, and come back to try again.

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Ok, I'm back. So, how can I run Firefox on Wine?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Please look at my previous replies because you keep asking the same question and I am too tired to keep typing the same thing since it's real late (or early) over here.

I am out of here...

Jotaro
December 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Please look at my previous replies because you keep asking the same question and I am too tired to keep typing the same thing since it's real late (or early) over here.

I am out of here...
Sorry, I just looked back on the previous posts...
"See if you can download the windows version of firefox. Then, install it with wine and see what happens.

Code:
cd ~/Desktop
wine filename.exe
Assuming that you have already installed and configured wine first before you use it.

p.s. You probably need java plugin too. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras package for all the plugins then."
1. How do I configure Wine?
2. How do I install the "ubuntu-restricted-extras package" ?
Also, I am sorry for repeating myself.

lovinglinux
December 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Recurring to Wine is not really the best option, specially considering that Firefox runs on Ubuntu. If you are still interested on solving your native Firefox issues, then check Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

Have you disable ipv6 to see if you can connect to the server?