PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New upgrades cause installation problems

Beastlicker
December 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hey. I just upgraded my video card to an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. I decided to do a fresh wipe of windows/ubuntu dual boot. When I go to install the ubuntu part of all of this, I can get to the option screen on the disc, but after choosing "try ubuntu without harming your computer", it gives me a terminal that continuously flashes black to what it says. Anyone else getting this?

phillw
December 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hi,

you may want to start reading this, or hope that some one gives you a quick fix.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305459

It is where those with nvid & ati card issues are sent, to get them solved - as there are so many issues, start at the beginning and work your way through. Yeah, a reet pain in the neck, I know.

myvideocard +ubuntu +9.10 may be quicker, dont forget the + before ubuntu and 9.10 Replace myvideocard with your model

Regards,

Phill

Beastlicker
December 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Before doing all of that, I tried one more thing out. I booted into the "Try Ubuntu" option using safe graphics mode and...it seemed to run fine. I will try to boot it again using that option without safe graphics mode.

Beastlicker
December 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Okay, I booted in without safe graphics mode and got something totally different than from last night. Last night, my screen would flicker with a terminal prompt where at the bottom, I believe it said "ubuntu@ubuntu$" or however the terminal commands usually look like. This morning, I got an error like "end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 15646712. Following that were two other errors that I didn't have the time to jot down because a whole mess load flew over and my screen began to flash.