PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation of computer terms

blueshiftoverwatch
December 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Has anyone else ever noticed that in the world of technology theirs more of a wide range of pronunciations for the same terms than in other industries?

I've heard Phenom pronounced "phee-nom" and "phen-nem". In the second pronunciation the N is so quick that it's almost silent.

SATA pronounced "sah-tah" and "say-tah".

OpenSUSE has quite a few different pronunciations. The 'correct' one being the word Suse pronounced like the girl's name 'Suzy'. Those crazy Germans. I think it sounds kinda cool though.

I think this is because of two reasons:
1. More and more interactions between people taking place on the Internet where things are typed rather than pronounced. So when these people talk about the product in real life they've never heard it pronounced before. So they make up their own pronunciation based on their best guess.

1A. With more and more discussions taking place on the Internet people have more of a tendency to give their products crazier names than what they would in real life. Because a name that might look really cool spelled out on a computer screen might not sound nearly as good pronounced in real life. Which leads to more confusion over the pronunciation of the name. As in English words are often not spelled the way they're pronounced.

2. With the rapid evolution of technology, product names never have a chance to become 'household names' because by the time that might start to happen the technology is replaced by a better technology and therefore never acquire a near uniform pronunciation. For example, Phenom processors might be popular right now. But in 15 years how many people are ever going to use the term "Phenom" as apart of their commonly used vocabulary in a sentence when talking about computers?

What ones can you think of?

CharlesA
December 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
As long as you understand what they are talking about, does it matter?

shobon
December 27th, 2009, 05:43 AM
cdr is pronounced "cudder."

RPG Master
December 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM
There was this one time at Best Buy where a clerk said "jigabytes".

I wanted to slap him :|

Also, I pronounce SUSE like Dr. Seuss :P

blueshiftoverwatch
December 27th, 2009, 05:49 AM
As long as you understand what they are talking about, does it matter?
Not really, it was just an observation about language.

MooPi
December 27th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I for one know for a solid fact that Phenom is pronounced fee-nom. Sata is pronounced (serial advanced technology attachment). And cudder is pronounced cudder. It's a fact cuz I saw it on the internet.

Marvin666
December 27th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Suse as in the doctor.
Sah-tah
G-U-I
Lin-ucks
Oo-boon-too
zoo-boon-too
koo-boon-too

days_of_ruin
December 27th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I hate it when people pronounce GUI "gooey", it makes me want give them a swift kick in the pants.
:lolflag:

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 06:04 AM
say-tah
seuss

schauerlich
December 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_for_English

SATA: /sætə/ ("sa-tuh", a as in "cat")
Phenom: /fiːnɑːm/ ("fee-nawm")
SuSE: /suːsə/ ("soo-suh")
Ubuntu: /uːbuːntuː/ ("oo-boon-too")
Fedora: /fədɒrə/ ("fuh-door-uh")
Linux: /lɪnʌks/ or /lɪnɪks/ ("lih-nucks" or "lih-nicks", i as in "bit")

Note: the correct pronunciation of "SuSE" in German is not /suːziː/ ("Suzy"), it's /zuːzə/ ("zoo-zuh").

MooPi
December 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM
You folks have got to lighten up.\\:D/

juancarlospaco
December 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
zoo-boon-too

Animals...? :)

schauerlich
December 27th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Animals...? :)

Xubuntu. Leading x's are occasionally pronounced like z's (in greek loanwords, like xylophone or xenophobia).

OutOfReach
December 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
An odd one is the pronunciation of Qt. The official pronunciation is the same as 'cute'.
I just say it as Q-T.

Gizenshya
December 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
There was this one time at Best Buy where a clerk said "jigabytes".

I wanted to slap him :|

Also, I pronounce SUSE like Dr. Seuss :P

both "gigga" and "jigga" are correct pronunciations of the SI prefix giga. What comes after it doesn't matter. That being said, most do say gigga for everything most of the time.

and.. I've apparently been saying OpenSUSE wrong all this tie :P

thanks for the info ;)

CharlesA
December 27th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'll still call it a Zed-P-M, thank you very much. :P

lykwydchykyn
December 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
An odd one is the pronunciation of Qt. The official pronunciation is the same as 'cute'.
I just say it as Q-T.

I can't bring myself to say "cute", especially when talking about pyqt.

As with other things, I choose the pronunciation that is least likely to make others look at me strangely or launch into lame jokes.

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Toe-May-Toe | Tah-Mah-Tah

It's still really good on a taco.

judge jankum
December 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Toe-May-Toe | Tah-Mah-Tah

It's still really good on a taco.
Here on redneck mountain it's ma-ter

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Here on redneck mountain it's ma-ter
Ah, yup, so 'tis, I'd fergot.

Still tastes mighty gore-met in a taco.

ve4cib
December 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM
GUI I tend to pronounce "gooey" just because that's how every prof an university, and every other programmer I've ever worked with has pronounced it. Maybe that's largely a regional thing?

I've heard Debian pronounced both as "Deh-bee-an" and "Dee-bee-an". I tend to flip-flop between the two randomly.

Ubuntu (the OS) I always pronounce as "uh-bun-too." Everyone else I've talked to about it (and every presenter talking about the OS I've seen online) also pronounces it like that. We're all well aware that in the original language it would be pronounced "oo-boon-too", but as with most foreign words adopted into English, the pronunciation changes.

Kubuntu gets pronounced as "kuh-bun-too", while Lubuntu, and Xubuntu tend to get pronounced "ell-uh-bun-too" and "eks-uh-bun-too"

SATA I've always pronounced as "say-tah," but one of my co-workers insists on "sah-tah" which led to some confusion at first when each of us was trying to figure out what the other was saying.