PDA

View Full Version : Intellectual property issues & the auto repair industry...

Sporkman
December 27th, 2009, 04:41 AM
High-tech vehicles pose trouble for some mechanics

By DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer Daisy Nguyen, Associated Press Writer – Sat Dec 26, 12:48 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – A sign inside the Humming Motors auto repair shop says, "We do the worrying so you don't have to."

These days, owner David Baur spends a lot of time worrying in his full-service garage near downtown Los Angeles.

As cars become vastly more complicated than models made just a few years ago, Baur is often turning down jobs and referring customers to auto dealer shops. Like many other independent mechanics, he does not have the thousands of dollars to purchase the online manuals and specialized tools needed to fix the computer-controlled machines.

Baur says the dilemma has left customers with fewer options for repair work and given automakers an unfair advantage...

Access to repair information is at the heart of a debate over a congressional bill called the Right to Repair Act. Supporters of the proposal say automakers are trying to monopolize the parts and repair industry by only sharing crucial tools and data with their dealership shops. The bill, which has been sent to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, would require automakers to provide all information to diagnose and service vehicles.

Automakers say they spend millions in research and development and aren't willing to give away their intellectual property. They say the auto parts and repair industry wants the bill passed so it can get patented information to make its own parts and sell them for less.

"Coke doesn't give away the recipe for Coke," said Charlie Territo, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. "What this bill seeks to get is the recipe for Coke."...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_independent_mechanics

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM
"Coke doesn't give away the recipe for Coke," said Charlie Territo, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. "What this bill seeks to get is the recipe for Coke."...
This dude is a dirt bag. Coke is a recipe. They are not asking for the source code that runs the machine. Just the tools to fix it.
I start out in my dads shop doing automotive transmission repair when I was 12, it paid better then allowance. I have repaired thousands of vehicles before going into the military. One thing was always a constant, each year a vehicle becomes more reliant on the computer and they keep changing the fasteners they assembled the transmission with.
Many of the mechanical tools have to be hand made or purchased from specialty tool makers.

Now I can see Automotive makers not supplying tools, each mechanic has his own. But going from a Torxhead screw size5 to the Torxhead screw size 5 with a peg in the middle just to make the mechanic get additional tools is just wrong.

Also Automotive makers should not have to open up the source to their programs, but a technical breakdown of the inner workings (which any mechanic worth his or her salt will figure out on their own) and updated software for the cars computers doesnt sound to reasonable, even if its released a year or two after that car is. This keeps the auto maker competitive and releases the tools needed for repair about the time a mechanic may need them.

IMHO,
Exo

phrostbyte
December 27th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Automakers say they spend millions in research and development and aren't willing to give away their intellectual property. They say the auto parts and repair industry wants the bill passed so it can get patented information to make its own parts and sell them for less.

Patented information is public anyway.

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Patented information is public anyway.
In deed...

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well "Charlie Territo" my $1.35 Coca Cola does not break down. My $30,000.00 Dodge Durango does. I think I want MY mechanic to have the tools to help me out.

earthpigg
December 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
i seem to be able to modify how my wireless router works without paying a crap ton of money to linksys, or having access to trade secrets.

i can tell my nvidia video card to do things, and it does them, without me having detailed schematics and whatnot on how the video card works.

even a Windows user can modify how his operating system functions without having access to it's source code.

how come someone can't tell their car to re-evaluate where the tire pressure is, without purchasing a $1000 piece of equipment?

how come skype can open source it's client without having to worry about their server-side tech being stolen?

computer A telling computer B to "evaluate what hardware you are working with" or "accept this new sensor that has been physically installed" does NOT require that computer A have all the details on how computer B works.