PDA

View Full Version : Name a Linux for this Machine?

razorboy5
December 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hello~

I've been using Linux for a while (Ubuntu to start just started Crunchbang) and my bro asked me to install Linux on his machine.

It's quite old system - IBM Thinkpad x40
1.3ghz processor with 1GB Ram and 40GB of harddrive

it's generally used for studying and browsing

so it'll need to run openoffice and firefox quite well (thinking of putting in Chrome after) and even a small media player

Even XP runs mad slow on this system

was thinking Ubuntu Netbook Remix Karmic Jaunty but will that compete with XP speeds on this old machine?

any other suggestions???

thx

lrcaballero
December 27th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Xubuntu, should be the perfect mate for that laptop....

good luck,

Luis

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Ubuntu will run quite nicely on the specs listed.
Before I'd give it the "it will work outta the box®" seal of approval, I'd like to see the output of:

sudo lshw
Please wrap that output in a #code box.
You can run the Ubuntu LiveCD without installing Ubuntu, and run the command I gave using the terminal found in the menu's at:
Applications>Accessories>Termial
Shift+CTRL+V will allow you to paste text into a terminal.
Shift+CTRL+C will allow you to copy text from the terminal.

GL and HF

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hello~

I've been using Linux for a while (Ubuntu to start just started Crunchbang) and my bro asked me to install Linux on his machine.

It's quite old system - IBM Thinkpad x40
1.3ghz processor with 1GB Ram and 40GB of harddrive

it's generally used for studying and browsing

so it'll need to run openoffice and firefox quite well (thinking of putting in Chrome after) and even a small media player

Even XP runs mad slow on this system

was thinking Ubuntu Netbook Remix Karmic Jaunty but will that compete with XP speeds on this old machine?

any other suggestions???

thx
Debian with XFCE desktop.

Psumi
December 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Debian with XFCE desktop.

Or... Ubuntu Minimal CD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) with xfce4 metapackage.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Xp

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Xp
Xp is "a Linux"?

1roxtar
December 27th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Regular Ubuntu 9.10 should work well with those specs and it would definitely kicks XP's butt in terms of speed and stability. I have several computers with lower specs running Karmic and they run snappy.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Xp is "a Linux"?

nope, but saying that it runs slow on those specs is ridiculous. it was probably ridden with viruses. so, i'm suggesting to reinstall XP.

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 03:30 AM
nope, but saying that it runs slow on those specs is ridiculous. it was probably ridden with viruses. so, i'm suggesting to reinstall XP.
He was asking for "a Linux"; I'm sure if he wanted to know how to secure XP, he'd have asked how to do that instead...

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
hey OP, XP will run fine on those specs. just sayin.

Nburnes
December 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
#! Crunchbang

mickie.kext
December 27th, 2009, 03:39 AM
hey OP, XP will run fine on those specs. just sayin.

Do you work for Microsoft? :lolflag:

starcannon
December 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
#! Crunchbang
#!Crunchbang would scream on that machine.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Do you work for Microsoft? :lolflag:

Desktop PC:

Win7 - main
Virtual - Ubuntu, Kubuntu

Lenovo X200 tablet:

Win7 - installed
Moblin 2.1, Kubuntu via USB

HP laptop:

Vista dual booted with Crunchbang

HP media server:

Windows Home Server

old desktop:

ubuntu server w/ ebox

nope ;D

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM

actually, crunchbang lite would scream. crunchbang isn't much lighter than ubuntu.

gutterslob
December 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
It all depends on how familiar your brother is with Linux and how experienced you are. Xubuntu should run reasonably well on that system, I would presume. XFCE shouldn't be too hard for a Windows user to get accustomed to.

Minimal Debian/Ubuntu + XFCE would be less bloated, but I don't know if you're comfortable with doing a minimal install.

If Xubuntu doesn't perform as well as you'd like, you could give CrunchBang a try, since you already use it. I know you're new to #!, but if all your bro needs is a browser, Open Office and a media player, then I don't think it would be much of a problem for you to teach him those. You won't have to go through the hassle of installing Flash and codecs in #!, but I'm not sure if the full version comes bundled with Open office or not (I know the Lite version doesn't), but it's just a matter of getting it from the repos.

If speed is of utmost importance, my recommendation would be a minimal Debian or Arch + a lightweight window manager like OpenBox or FluxBox, but if you're unfamiliar with the process (or just don't want the hassle), there are some ultra-light alternatives out there.

I recently (yesterday) resurrected and 5-6 yr old laptop which had an AMD Athlon 64 and 256mb RAM with SliTaz (google it or look through the Distrowatch lists), and performance has been stunning. It uses Openbox (although a slightly different implementation compared to #!), which you should be familiar with, and it's laid out similar to XP by default. You'll probably need to go through their site documentation a bit to get accustomed to their package management/syntax, but other than that, it should work fine as long as your bro's laptop passes the hardware detection stage (which it most probably will).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

EDIT:
@p*rnstar
Yes, the Lite version would perform well on that machine, but even The "heavy" version of #! is still quite a bit more nimble than standard Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

Nburnes
December 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM

Exactly!:P

razorboy5
December 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM
hey thx for all the replies (was eating dinner didn't expect 17 replies so quickly)

will definately tryout ubuntu on the system then tonite or tomorrow. Maybe #! lite. I'm not familiar with Debian so i wont put it on my bros machine just yet. Will test out a few other variations and see where it goes :P

also it is EXTREMELY slow that's why i thought putting Linux mite help :S maybe it is cuz of viruses and i should reinstall, but installing Linux is so much faster, easier and cheaper

no idea what minimal installs are yet ^^;; time will teach i guess :P

thx alot

Marvin666
December 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I had a laptop, with similar motherboard specs, and xubuntu jaunty ran perfectly on it. I used fx, open office, and vlc. It was 1.5ghz dual core and shipped with 1gb ram. 120gb hard disk. I later upgraded the ram to 2.5gb. Higly recomended upgrade. At the time, I payed 80, but if you look around now, you can find a 2gb card for 35.