PDA

View Full Version : It's Saturday

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Time to backup your hard drive. Never know when it'll fail.

Psumi
December 27th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I keep all my documents on my flash drive, and even then, most, if not all of it, are not important. I have almost 2 GB of documents, most of it being music and flash stuff.

lrcaballero
December 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
When I was running Jaunty 9.04 it would't recognized my Seagate External HD. Now I am running Karmic 9.10 and yesterday I was playing with my Seagate External HD and I decided to plug-it in and WALLAAAAAAH! it was recognized by Karmic, so now I have all my Documents, Music, Pictures.... in my Seagate External HD. YEAHHHHH baby........

Happy Holidays

Luis

tacantara
December 27th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I tried to backup a couple of days ago, using Simple Backup. I thought I'd set it to send the backup to an external HD on USB, but it sent the backup to my laptop's HDD. Seems pointless to backup to the disk you're backing up. Does anyone know of a decent backup/restore program that actually works?

Sorry for bringing up the question in this thread...it's been on my mind for a few days.

lisati
December 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I have a couple of external HDDs I use, simple file copies of potentially important stuff when I think of it.

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I tried to backup a couple of days ago, using Simple Backup. I thought I'd set it to send the backup to an external HD on USB, but it sent the backup to my laptop's HDD. Seems pointless to backup to the disk you're backing up. Does anyone know of a decent backup/restore program that actually works?

Sorry for bringing up the question in this thread...it's been on my mind for a few days.

Drag/Drop?

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I need to backup my data again. But luckily its all on a separate drive from my system.
I got over 25GB alone in MP3s from my music collection, 2GB in downloaded programs and 10GB of documents and my GIMP artwork. Plus an additional 10GB of home movies.

I need one of those WD external drives badly..

dragos240
December 27th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Meh. I'll do it someday.

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n157/SmurfPop/caturday.png

blueshiftoverwatch
December 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I have a 750GB external hard drive that I keep in a metal cabinet 99% of the time and a local copy of all the data from it on a separate partition of my computer.

I just had to completely delete my partition table to install fake RAID0 and felt slightly uneasy knowing that I only had 1 copy of my important data. I just backed it up on my computer this evening and now I feel better knowing my data is secure.

I actually unplug my Internet when I'm transferring data to/from my external hard drive. If someone hacked into my computer when I had the backup HD connected I'd loose both my local and backup copies. Although that still won't protect my data in the case of a power surge.

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Surge protector?

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n157/SmurfPop/caturday.png

:lolflag:

lisati
December 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Fixed thread title.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Surge protector?
Theirs a lightning protector on the fuse box. But that's not a 100% guarantee that stuff in your house still won't get fried in the case of a huge power surge or other miscellaneous disruption in normal service.

Cam42
December 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Fixed thread title.

Still Saturday here.

cariboo
December 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
It's still Saturday here, I finished my weekly server backup earlier this afternoon. It looks like it's time for a larger backup drive as I'm using 91% of my external 750Gb.

Instead of a surge protector, I have my server plugged into an APC UPS, it works great for the rare power outages and I have zero problems with power surges.

My main system at home is also plugged in to a Belkin UPS, but I have to shut down manually during a power outage, as I haven't been able to get it detected properly in either Windows or Ubuntu.

loell
December 27th, 2009, 05:27 AM
sorry other side of the world, but it's already Sunday here! :tongue:

HappyFeet
December 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know of a decent backup/restore program that actually works?

Yeah, it's called copy and paste to a second hard drive or thumbdrive.

CharlesA
December 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Instead of a surge protector, I have my server plugged into an APC UPS, it works great for the rare power outages and I have zero problems with power surges.

Do you use apcupsd with that UPS?

Yeah, it's called copy and paste to a second hard drive or thumbdrive.

I prefer rsync personally. :)

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
It's still Saturday here, I finished my weekly server backup earlier this afternoon. It looks like it's time for a larger backup drive as I'm using 91% of my external 750Gb.

My main system at home is also plugged in to a Belkin UPS, but I have to shut down manually during a power outage, as I haven't been able to get it detected properly in either Windows or Ubuntu.

Both my PCs are plugged into APC BackUPS 500, its not the surges that worry me. Its the lack of power from brown-outs. This is where theses save me the most. Also cheap enough everyone should have one.

Cheers,
Exo

amdalex
December 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I had all my stuff on a 500gb internal seagate drive, well it failed for the second time and took all my movies with it. Now I have two external hard drives and the seagate is on it's way back. I don't think I will use it for anything.