PDA

View Full Version : Another Open Source, Linux, Etc Questions...

mybodymyself
December 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM
How many of you easy time with or medium or difficulty with all open source, linux, etc?

How did it go over with your family or etc as well? That even goes if you don't live with them or etc as well.

Please feel free to add your own questions to your responses as well.

Heres my answers to my own questions

Had difficultly downloading, installing, etc on my computer. At the same time this isn't even the 1st time (mid 2006) that I have done this or 1st computer neither. Tried Suse 1st time and Ubuntu 2nd time.

Didn't go over to well with my family both times that I have tried it. 1st time replaced my previous computer, but this time no replacement computer. Basically, messed these two computers as well and mainly windows based programs. At the same time my father has messed up his own computers and always replaces them. Since he uses it for his work as well. Finally, he made the switched from Windows based to Mac based.

As for me I'm still conflicted about all of this.

Believe this is it for now.

cariboo
December 27th, 2009, 01:56 AM
mybodymyself your use of etc in most of your posts is starting to drive me insane. There is a directory called /etc in all Linux distributions. Every time I see it in one of your threads I think you are referring to that directory.

As to your question, I find solving most problems I run into fairly simple, or if It is a little tougher, I check here in the forums.

I have enough computers for a family four times the size of mine. So nobody goes without. :)

gsmanners
December 27th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I've had a lot more problems installing Windows and its various apps than anything in Linux. I always say use the right tool for the right job, but I always breathe a big sigh of relief if I can do what I need to in Linux.

As for your family, what do you care what they use? If it's their machine, it's their choice what they do with it.

MooPi
December 27th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I'd like to know why your family didn't like your move to Linux ?
As for ease of switching for me, is a conflicting story as I still use Windows XP for gaming. Everything else, or as I generally refer to my important computer is all Linux, and generally FOSS. I have no problem using Linux daily for personal use. I don't come with baggage though. There wasn't a program that I couldn't be without that would impede the switch. But I have been using Linux for years and not months.Besides Microsoft made it easy for me, with all the restrictions and me attitude that comes from the Windows world of software.

mybodymyself
December 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
mybodymyself your use of etc in most of your posts is starting to drive me insane. There is a directory called /etc in all Linux distributions. Every time I see it in one of your threads I think you are referring to that directory.

As to your question, I find solving most problems I run into fairly simple, or if It is a little tougher, I check here in the forums.

I have enough computers for a family four times the size of mine. So nobody goes without. :)

cariboo907,

Not this again. Basically, I'm referring to is etecera, spl then etc.

I've had a lot more problems installing Windows and its various apps than anything in Linux. I always say use the right tool for the right job, but I always breathe a big sigh of relief if I can do what I need to in Linux.

As for your family, what do you care what they use? If it's their machine, it's their choice what they do with it.

I'd like to know why your family didn't like your move to Linux ?
As for ease of switching for me, is a conflicting story as I still use Windows XP for gaming. Everything else, or as I generally refer to my important computer is all Linux, and generally FOSS. I have no problem using Linux daily for personal use. I don't come with baggage though. There wasn't a program that I couldn't be without that would impede the switch. But I have been using Linux for years and not months.Besides Microsoft made it easy for me, with all the restrictions and me attitude that comes from the Windows world of software.

gsmanners and moopi,

Thanx for both of your responses to my questions here. Both of them are interesting. As for me have decided to give up on open source, linux, etc since I had virtually no luck with it and etc. Prefer to switch from Windows based machine to Mac based one. Since its some what like this.

Exodist
December 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Jessica from what I am trying to understand from what you described. It "sounds" like your father is running out and purchasing a new machine everytime you "try" linux. I could understand if he is a little frustrated. Two things you should always have before trying any other OS out. 1) Your original Window Disc or recovery CD, 2) Knowledge of how to install the new OS as well as reinstalling your old if you fell to understand the new.

I highly suggest getting together with someone in your area that knows a fair amount about windows and linux and help you setup a dual boot system that way you can keep your windows and in addition try linux out until you feel you want to fulling switch or realize it may not be for you.

Cheers,
Exo

mybodymyself
December 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Jessica from what I am trying to understand from what you described. It "sounds" like your father is running out and purchasing a new machine everytime you "try" linux. I could understand if he is a little frustrated. Two things you should always have before trying any other OS out. 1) Your original Window Disc or recovery CD, 2) Knowledge of how to install the new OS as well as reinstalling your old if you fell to understand the new.

I highly suggest getting together with someone in your area that knows a fair amount about windows and linux and help you setup a dual boot system that way you can keep your windows and in addition try linux out until you feel you want to fulling switch or realize it may not be for you.

Cheers,
Exo

exo,

Thanx for your response. Its not just him, but me whom is getting the same way. Would just rather switch from this and Windows to Mac. So, my dad or me has to deal with this.

JC Cheloven
December 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I'm fine on gnu-linux.
People see how fine I do in gnu-linux.
People ask me to install gnu-linux on their own computers.
People with gnu-linux installed (by me) are all happy and grateful.

The above sums up my history of the last three years. At the beginning it was a slow process, but it seems to be non-stop by now. I've installed for about 35 different people, and counting. These christmas 3 more people ...