PDA

View Full Version : Evolution and Google Mail

Tourdog
December 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm using an Acer Aspire One and boot Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix from a USB flash drive. I can write Evolution emails and send them via Google Mail (SMTP). It works well. But, I cannot get the problem solved on "receiving" emails via IMAP.
How do you get Google Mail (Evolution is not on their preferred supported list) to allow Evolution to receive those emails. I've made various changes in Edit, Preferences, etc but to no avail. IMAP at my Google Mail Account is very simple.................. sending email works perfectly. I just can't get configured to receive any!

Any help would be appreciated! TIA! :)

Spinx
December 27th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Tourdog, I'm not an expert but I set up using POP rather than IMAP.

Under Account Editor use

Server type: "POP"

Server: "pop.gmail.com"

That said, I have found Mozilla Thunderbird meets my needs and I nolonger use Evolution.

Tourdog
December 28th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Spinx,
Good deal! I've completed POP and it sends and receives my Google mails perfectly!
Thank You! :)

stew721
December 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
They have "Other" listed for e-mail clients. You didn't select it, why? The IMAP settings can be found here (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799).

One other thing you may want to take note of: Google automatically saves a copy of all sent mail in the Sent folder/label. Therefore, in Evolution (or any other client for that matter), select the trash folder as the location to save sent mail or don't save sent mail at all; Google does it for you when it's passed through their SMTP server.