PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop gui on a server

t00ls
December 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I think this is my second post..... anyways

I searched and searched for a way to install the desktop gui on ubuntu server without having to download it each time,without any good results.

That being said...I did piece together some of my findings to come up with a solution ...I think.

after I installed ubuntu server off my cd, I logged in. After that I placed a ubuntu desktop cd in. typed in

sudo apt-cdrom addwhen that finished, I typed in

sudo taskselthat brought up a list of items to install as well as ones you had already installed for the server side of ubuntu, at any rate...I scrolled down and found ubuntu desktop,highlighted it,hit the space bar,hit enter, and waited.

I thought it was stuck or froze and was about to reset ... then it came up another screen

this screen says package configuration, and is currently retrieving files.

I thought this would take less time since it was coming off the cd....but right now it is connected to the internet downloading the package, instead of taking it from the cd

any ideas about what I missed :confused:

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
You forgot to run "sudo apt-get update" after you've added the CD as your source. Therefore, it doesn't know it should install stuff from the CD.

t00ls
December 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM
oops...that one slipped by me....thanks for a quick reply

I'll try it to see if that does it

t00ls
December 27th, 2009, 01:08 AM
nah...still trying to retrieve it from the internet....I'll keep trying something different

anyone else have a solution?

taurus
December 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Try the alternate CD instead of the desktop/LiveCD.

Dayofswords
December 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM
not that i know anything but, wouldn't sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop work?

t00ls
December 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
yes the apt-get install ubuntu-desktop will work fine....over the internet

I want to be able to install without having to re-download the package each time

I am experimenting with a server install....but would like to have the gui

each time I decide to re-do everything, I dont want to have to re-download,consuming bandwidth

I think taurus has the solution....I will try the alternate cd...

thanks for the help... if I have to do this again and the alternate cd works ...I will post again

for now ...everything is up and running again