PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubuntu ISO torrent upload anywhere in the world?

Jucato
February 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Just a quick question here:

In the Ubuntu/Kubuntu download sections, you have to choose a country first before you are redirected to a page where you could choose the type of ISO, right? So if I choose Taiwan, for example, and download the whole thing, when I upload, will other people who chose a different country on the first download page be able to get pieces from me?

Coz I'm planning to seed the Ubuntu/Kubuntu 386 Install ISO's everyday for at most 18hrs, until Dapper Drake is released in April.

bjweeks
February 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, you use the same torrent as everbody but you download the .torrent file from you local mirror.

GreyFox503
February 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Rock on! Seeding torrents is a great way to give back to the Ubuntu devs and community. Unfortunately, my university has some nasty bandwidth quotas in place, which makes that difficult for me.

Jucato
February 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks! It's unfortunate for me that I lost the original ISOs that I downloaded before, so I have to download those two again. Hopefully I could finish downloading everything by tomorrow and start seeding ASAP.

Yeah, it's my simple way of giving back to the community for giving me something so wonderful. Got inspired by that McDonalds thread, but don't have the resources to do something like that. :D

Mandor
May 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
In Bulgaria all Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu will be uploaded on a local (for Bulgaria) torrent tracker supposedly half an hour after final the realease (6.06). Since there is something like a huge W/LAN (it's usually called "the bg peering") built throughout the country and speeds are pretty good in it (5, 10 or 20 Mibps is normal) and the tracker is pretty populated - 100 000 registered users and average 15 000 active or more in a given moment, I think I will upload many copies os Ubuntu and derivatives in the weeks after June 1. With the Vista approaching and represive (because they often lie beyond the scope of active laws) actions of the "licence keepers" open source is slowly gaining power here and Ubunty seems to be the best option for new users, especially wth Easy Ubuntu.