PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 9.04, 9.10, Windows triple-boot?

Objekt
December 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I mainly use Kubuntu 9.04 64 bit, but I also have the Vista/Win7 bootloader, which lets me start either Win XP or Win 7 RC.

If I install Ubuntu 9.10 alongside my existing OSes, what happens to GRUB? Will GRUB 2 have any problems pointing to the Kubuntu 9.04 install or the Win 7 bootloader? I assume installing 9.10 would automagically replace the legacy GRUB from 9.04 with GRUB 2, but I'm not sure it'd work, so I haven't tried it yet.

Objekt
December 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I was feeling adventurous, so I went ahead and tried it.

I was quite pleased that the Ubuntu 9.10 installer offered me the choice of whether or not to modify the bootloader on the first hard drive, which is where 2 of my existing 3 OS's were installed. I went ahead and upgraded to GRUB 2 for everything.

I can still boot Kubuntu 9.04 if I want. Happily, Ubuntu 9.10 is working just fine so far. I haven't yet had the sound mysteriously stop functioning. Some things work better than in Kubuntu 9.04. Mouse input lag in Urban Terror is gone!

I'll probably move to Ubuntu 9.10 as my main OS in the next few days, assuming I don't have a repeat of the mysterious breakages that happened in Kubuntu 9.10, even with a clean install.