PDA

View Full Version : Got a Droid Eris

hanzomon4
December 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It's a nice phone, just as good as my iphone. The OS is nice , HTC sense on top of Android 1.6. I was going to get the Droid but this one was free. I really don't think I'm missing anything other then a bigger screen, android 2.0, and 8 gb(which I can get later). Besides the keyboard, which sucks, I don't see any place where it fails against my iPhone. Great buy

gletob
December 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
That's cool, I'm loving my new computer. Wish they'd let me build one though.:(

*cough*And a physical keyboard*cough*

hanzomon4
December 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
How do I get music on this thing?

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM
How do I get music on this thing?

well apparently it "fails" against your iphone on that front =)

also, does it have built in GPS like the droid? and the difference between 1.6 and 2.0 is not small. and how is that camera?

hanzomon4
December 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM
well apparently it "fails" against your iphone on that front =)

also, does it have built in GPS like the droid? and the difference between 1.6 and 2.0 is not small. and how is that camera?

I figured it out... I missed the alert on the phone asking me if I wanted to mount the thing. After that it showed up in rhythmbox and worked like iTunes+ipod.

It does have gps and a digital compass, the specs are less then the Droid but performance is great. The camera looks good.. 5mp autofocus but no flash. Android 2.0 will be coming in an update as soons as htc gets sense working with it. Once that happens this phone is going be freakin bananas.

EDIT: Oh and multi tasking.. I don't know how I lived without it. It's so cool having meebo alert me to a new chat message just like I'm alerted to a new text message. It's great, just great

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I figured it out... I missed the alert on the phone asking me if I wanted to mount the thing. After that it showed up in rhythmbox and worked like iTunes+ipod.

It does have gps and a digital compass, the specs are less then the Droid but performance is great. The camera looks good.. 5mp autofocus but no flash. Android 2.0 will be coming in an update as soons as htc gets sense working with it. Once that happens this phone is going be freakin bananas.

EDIT: Oh and multi tasking.. I don't know how I lived without it. It's so cool having meebo alert me to a new chat message just like I'm alerted to a new text message. It's great, just great

lol yeah, multitasking would be hawt. my contract with ATT is up in Jan so i have some choices to make!

hanzomon4
December 27th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Well best buy is gving away the Eris for free with a new VZ contract until the 6th or the 10th. Walmart is selling the Droid for 150.00

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 01:39 AM
i know ^_^

Lightstar
December 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
phones are never trully free when there's a contract >.>

To get a good phone for free/cheap here... the cheapest contract is on 3 years, and it ends up costing a total of $1800

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM

To get a good phone for free/cheap here... the cheapest contract is on 3 years, and it ends up costing a total of $1800

let us know when you find a free phone and free service that's reliable and up-to-date technology.

hanzomon4
December 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM

Phone's no good without service

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
it's funny how so many people here think that everything should be free and/or everything handed to them.

here's a hint: that's not how the world works. and if you think so, you'll fail miserably in life.

back on topic:

how's your 3G where you live? when i was at O'Hare last year, my ATT 3G was crap.

Lightstar
December 27th, 2009, 04:11 AM
uh huh I know a phone is no good without service. Seems my small message might have given the wrong impression.

I have a normal phone, with a normal service. Nothing very fancy.

I'm just pointing out that the "free" things they advertise are really far from being free or cheap. it's all just marketing gimmicks.

And yes, if I ever do find a free service that's up-to-date with technology, I surely will share it here.

But for now, I think I still rather connect wifi when I need to surf the web or check mail, it saves me (internet) time, since I do not have unlimited bandwidth on the 3g / data phone network.

Hopefully the services where you guys live offer better bandwidth and/or limits.

sports fan Matt
December 27th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Anything at&t was bad in Chicago--I lived there for a few years. Service dropped in and out and reception (in the city) was hit and miss at best.

HappinessNow
December 27th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Well best buy is gving away the Eris for free with a new VZ contract until the 6th or the 10th. Walmart is selling the Droid for 150.00I may actually act on this one, if it's available in my area...Thanks! (or get the Peek: see below)

let us know when you find a free phone and free service that's reliable and up-to-date technology.

The closest that I know of would be Peek...Not a cell phone but good for Texting, email and it may work with Google Voice

http://www.getpeek.com/

at Amazon you can buy the Peek for $259 and lifetime service....a bit more up front but NO monthly service fees

Peek Pronto Mobile Messaging Device with Lifetime Service Included (Grey)
I used this to replace my iPhone. I know, it doesn't do much other than text and email - but that was all I was using my iPhone for... all the other stuff was just for passing time in the doctors waiting room ...

Pluses:

Simple.
-Up to 5 email accounts
-text all you want (they have recently improved texting)
-unlimited emails
- can do pics and pdfs, and word docs
-no monthly fees (my biggest +!!)
-mapping / locating service at peekmaps.com (follow your Peek - very cool)
-lots of searches available via email
-great customer service
-works seamlessly with gmail and yahoo mail
- full keyboard
- fast delivery of email
- long battery times (mine goes 2+ days on 1 charge)
- holds minor contact info (1 per email address)
- can import address book directly from gmail, yahoo, etc
http://www.amazon.com/Peek-Messaging-Lifetime-Service-Included/dp/B002MXXBKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261890409&sr=8-1
(of course this is the lifetime of the device)

I may get this instead of a another cell phone and just get a house line for $12 basic service.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
peek is interesting, but certainly for a niche market. that guy said all he used his iphone for was texting/emailing, well, he's an idiot. who buys an iphone and doesn't use apps? that's half the selling point of the phone along with the multimedia capabilities and gosh, it's also a phone.

peek may be cool for some i suppose.

hanzomon4
December 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
it's funny how so many people here think that everything should be free and/or everything handed to them.

here's a hint: that's not how the world works. and if you think so, you'll fail miserably in life.

back on topic:

how's your 3G where you live? when i was at O'Hare last year, my ATT 3G was crap.

I'll let you know when I fly into o'hare ;)
It's great in Louisiana, Im hoping for some cta love downtown *fingers crossed*

amitabhishek
December 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Android 2.0 will be coming in an update as soons as htc gets sense working with it.

Sense UI is overrated memory hog!!! If at all you can have most of the app. as widget that's what essentially sense UI does

uh huh I know a phone is no good without service. Seems my small message might have given the wrong impression.

At least I understood what you meant first time :).

MaxCarnage
December 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I've had all the iPhones since Gen 1, and when I was checking out a friend's Eris it seemed very laggy and somewhat unresponsive. The Droid was less-so, but still had issues with the touch interface. I hated the hardware keyboard, but the virtual keyboard was pretty decent. I have a hard time leaving my iPhone behind, but between needing Windows for iTunes and keeping my phone up-to-date and AT&T, I have been looking for an alternative. As an iPhone to Android convertee, keep us updated with what you like/miss compared to your old phones if you don't mind; I am interested in what the final conclusion is after a few weeks.

AnimeOmega
December 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Uhh... I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant phone companies mislead you ('wow, im getting a great dea!') into to buying a locked phone for free or cheaper than retail, because they eventually get back the phone's cost + what *some people* believe to be a unfair amount of profit. It's especially bothersome *to some* that most of those companies don't even bother to upgrade their infrastructure (expand 3G/4G, VoIP, Free SMS like Google Voice, etc.) when their profits are so large.

A nice alternative is to buy your own unlocked GSM phone and chose your voice/data/voip plan. If you factor in the phone's cost + plan, you'll probably end up getting a better deal. Remember to research before you buy !

As a side note: Apparently the Nexus One (Google Phone) is going to cost $199 USD Unlocked and you can get service from any GSM carrier or use VoIP (that's free/cheaper).

More: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=nexus+one+199&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Uhh... I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant phone companies mislead you ('wow, im getting a great dea!') into to buying a locked phone for free or cheaper than retail, because they eventually get back the phone's cost + what *some people* believe to be a unfair amount of profit. It's especially bothersome *to some* that most of those companies don't even bother to upgrade their infrastructure (expand 3G/4G, VoIP, Free SMS like Google Voice, etc.) when their profits are so large.

A nice alternative is to buy your own unlocked GSM phone and chose your voice/data/voip plan. If you factor in the phone's cost + plan, you'll probably end up getting a better deal. Remember to research before you buy !

As a side note: Apparently the Nexus One (Google Phone) is going to cost $199 USD Unlocked and you can get service from any GSM carrier or use VoIP (that's free/cheaper).

More: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=nexus+one+199&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

i know exactly what he meant. to even point out that it's NOT free is a slap in the face to the OP. of COURSE it's not free in the end. this is common sense.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 07:05 PM

since it will be a smart phone, be aware that apparently it will only work with TMO's 3G (which is basically **** btw)

amitabhishek
December 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
i know exactly what he meant. to even point out that it's NOT free is a slap in the face to the OP. of COURSE it's not free in the end. this is common sense.

ugh...really...:)

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
so you get my point. not many with common sense.

Gizenshya
December 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I nver knew it until very recently, but contracts are only needed if you get a phone (or something else) with your contract.

I'm with ATT now with no contract. Just paying month by month. I still have all my minutes and all that jazz.

I hate ATT, though... horrible company is pretty much every way. But I have to admit, it is hard to switch. I was going to before I found out about this, but I may just hold off another couple months.

The down side is I don't get a new phone from them... but I don't need one anyway. Not having a contract is more important than that.

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I nver knew it until very recently, but contracts are only needed if you get a phone (or something else) with your contract.

I'm with ATT now with no contract. Just paying month by month. I still have all my minutes and all that jazz.

I hate ATT, though... horrible company is pretty much every way. But I have to admit, it is hard to switch. I was going to before I found out about this, but I may just hold off another couple months.

The down side is I don't get a new phone from them... but I don't need one anyway. Not having a contract is more important than that.

they're also "only needed" if you have a smartphone and want to use it as such.

PurposeOfReason
December 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking about getting the hero with Sprint in Feb when I can upgrade. I really would kill for verizon, but they charge way too much for getting not that much more. "Hey, look at out map!", but if you don't travel everywhere and you get service where you live, you're set.

hanzomon4
December 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I've had all the iPhones since Gen 1, and when I was checking out a friend's Eris it seemed very laggy and somewhat unresponsive. The Droid was less-so, but still had issues with the touch interface. I hated the hardware keyboard, but the virtual keyboard was pretty decent. I have a hard time leaving my iPhone behind, but between needing Windows for iTunes and keeping my phone up-to-date and AT&T, I have been looking for an alternative. As an iPhone to Android convertee, keep us updated with what you like/miss compared to your old phones if you don't mind; I am interested in what the final conclusion is after a few weeks.

I'll keep you posted, I do notice some kind of "lag" in somethings but I'm thinking it has more to do with being use to the iphone's quirks and not yet feeling comfortable in the Android UI.

As far as the contract is unfree thing, well I could have bought the phone with out a contract but I can't afford to spend that much at one time. I would have bought the n900 in that case.

What I mean by free phone is, the phone did not cost the 99 bucks it would have cost had I bought it from VZ or any other dealer. I want to be on the Verizon Network so I fail to see how I would be in a better situation had I "Bought the phone" unlocked and then went running back to VZ for service.

hanzomon4
January 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
It works on. The cta in tshe loop!