PDA

View Full Version : what good si-fi tv series are on the air?

legolas_w
December 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hi
I was watching the following tv series and now all of them are on hold. I am wondering what other good si-fi tv series are on the air?

I was watching:

- Sanctuary
- Stargate Universe
- Fringe
- Legend of the Seeker

thanks.

LowSky
December 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
V (only 4 episodes so far)
Chuck (not really Sci-Fi, but AWESOME, Newseason starts January 10th)

If your in the US, I assume you are as all these shows are currently airing in the US, Hulu has the old seasons of Stargate Atlatis and SG1 so you can catch up on those if you never saw them.

Hulu has a bunch of Sci-Fi you might have never seen too.

http://www.hulu.com/channels/Science-Fiction

cascade9
December 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Heroes- Not that great, to be honest its just going downhill more and more but some people still like it a lot.

Lost- Borderline Sci-fi IMO, and pretty hard to watch if you havent seen the previous shows, but interesting. (not currently on the air, series 6 starts 2nd of Feb, 2010)

No idea if you get UK series on the air in the US, but

Dr. Who- again, going downhill IMO, but its a classic (there is also torchwood, but that show needs to be burnt)

Survivors- Again, borderline Sci-fi (its more post- apocalyptic). Series 2 starts 13th of Jan, 2010 on BBC.

Hopefully Red Dwarf series 10 gets made as well, but thats still in pre-production. Not really sure how well that goes down in the US...and if you've seen the US version, its horrible.

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
There is also the Ghost Hunters Triage now, GH, GHI, GHA.
Also Destination Truth should be back soon.

Other shows not si fi but good watching is Bone, House and Flash Forward.

ve4cib
December 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
FlashForward is currently on haitus until March, but the first 10 episodes have been aired already. It's a pretty good show. The central premise is that every human on the planet blacks out for ~2 minutes, and during that time they see what they'll be doing 6 months into the future. The show follows a team of FBI agents trying to figure out what happened and who is responsible for it.

Paradox, an British series, just wrapped up its opening season of 5 episodes. It has a similar premise to FlashForward; an English astrophysicist receives a series of images downloaded from his satellite that depict some sort of crime/disaster that will happen in less than 24 hours. She show follows the physicist and a team of Manchester cops as they try to figure out where the images are coming from, as well as trying to prevent the disasters they depict.

Warehouse 13 wrapped up its first season a few months back, but it's scheduled to get a second one. It can best be described as The X-Files meets Raiders of the Lost Ark. The show follows a pair of US Secret Service agents who collect artifacts with unusual (often semi-magical or dangerous) powers, and secure them in the titular warehouse. The items are almost all based on real people or mythology.

gnomeuser
December 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Proper science fiction on the air, good question.

Dollhouse is still on the air for a little while yet and is an excellent sci-fi effort. A believable extrapolation of current science and politics to a near future which has got to be the defacto definition of Science Fiction.

V is also really good but one has to live with their air dates being in "pods" of 4 episodes clustered followed by long breaks. To me that makes getting involved in the story a bit harder.

My friends tell me good things about Stargate Universe but I haven't see it personally.

It's really not a good period for science fiction shows, we have a lot of non-science shows such as Ghost hunters but the wealth of sci-fi shows we had just a few years ago has been boiled down to just a couple of shows and of those only a select few aren't threated by cancellation.

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Proper science fiction on the air, good question.

Dollhouse is still on the air for a little while yet and is an excellent sci-fi effort. A believable extrapolation of current science and politics to a near future which has got to be the defacto definition of Science Fiction.

V is also really good but one has to live with their air dates being in "pods" of 4 episodes clustered followed by long breaks. To me that makes getting involved in the story a bit harder.

My friends tell me good things about Stargate Universe but I haven't see it personally.

It's really not a good period for science fiction shows, we have a lot of non-science shows such as Ghost hunters but the wealth of sci-fi shows we had just a few years ago has been boiled down to just a couple of shows and of those only a select few aren't threated by cancellation.

Sadly Fox is canning DollHouse but Joss Whedon promises not to leave the series on a cliff hanger. Should be 2 more back to back episodes left of season 2.

I agree with you on the whole V thing? WTH is with that..

ve4cib
December 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Sadly Fox is canning DollHouse but Joss Whedon promises not to leave the series on a cliff hanger. Should be 2 more back to back episodes left of season 2.

Three episodes left: Getting Closer, The Hollow Men, and Epitaph Two: Return. Epitaph Two is apparently a continuation of the unaired finale from season one (entitled Epitaph One). Epitaph One is on the season 1 DVD, so you should probably buy/rent/"acquire" that episode before you see the finale of season 2 for everything to make sense.

gnomeuser
December 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Three episodes left: Getting Closer, The Hollow Men, and Epitaph Two: Return. Epitaph Two is apparently a continuation of the unaired finale from season one (entitled Epitaph One). Epitaph One is on the season 1 DVD, so you should probably buy/rent/"acquire" that episode before you see the finale of season 2 for everything to make sense.

I have to admit when I got my Dollhouse DVDs and saw Epitaph One it was a fsck me moment. In one sense it was so different from Dollhouse and yet it showed us where Joss was going with the whole show. I have to say that over all I didn't like the episode that much but yet I couldn't shake it either.. so strange.

Now with the tombstone for Joss' latest work set down we should all remember that they are medicinal carrots and get back to the thread.

nrs
December 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
None the mentioned shows really do it for me. I want another (reimaged) Battlestar Galactica, in terms of quality and mood. Not sure how Caprica is going to turn out. Ah well. I was never really into Sci-Fi television anyways, novels have always outshone it.

t0p
December 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Lost is great. It kind of lost (heh) its way with seasons 3 and 4. But season 5 rocked, I am really looking forward to the upcoming season 6. This is the final season of Lost, and it should end with a bang.

Oh, and Docter Who is the best science fiction *ever*. Bar none. It'll be interesting to see what the latest Doctor iteration is like.

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lost is great. It kind of lost (heh) its way with seasons 3 and 4. But season 5 rocked, I am really looking forward to the upcoming season 6. This is the final season of Lost, and it should end with a bang.

Oh, and Docter Who is the best science fiction *ever*. Bar none. It'll be interesting to see what the latest Doctor iteration is like.
What is Lost? Is it like a Gilligan's Island gone horribly wrong?

alphaniner
December 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
there is also torchwood, but that show needs to be burnt

I thought Children of Earth was expected to be the end. I was very disappointed to see the show go, but CoE was a damn good ending to the series.

OP, if you haven't seen Torchwood I recommend you look it up. But unless you watch a few episodes of Doctor Who first (which I also recommend) you'll be missing a bit.

cascade9
December 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
@t0p- you didnt like season 4 of lost? I thought that it was alright...maybe I was still getting over the horror of season 3.

@alphaniner- Yes, agreed, if you try to watch torchwood without at least some DR. Who knowledge you will be missing quite a bit.

Warehouse 13 wrapped up its first season a few months back, but it's scheduled to get a second one. It can best be described as The X-Files meets Raiders of the Lost Ark. The show follows a pair of US Secret Service agents who collect artifacts with unusual (often semi-magical or dangerous) powers, and secure them in the titular warehouse. The items are almost all based on real people or mythology.

Thanks for that, I hadnt really heard about Warehouse 13. I mananged to get a few episodes, seems to be good. :)

I'll have to have a look at Paradox.

What is Lost? Is it like a Gilligan's Island gone horribly wrong?

LOL, cute way of putting it.

Honestly, all the people I know who like lost hate dolhouse, and vice-versa, so it might not be your thing. But its worth a look anyway, just dont try to start on anything but season 1, you'll just get confused.