PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is hardware drivers installation required on ubuntu

durga11
December 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hi,I had installed ubuntu 9.10 on my new lenovo laptop which has a intel 245 chipset in it.I had a problem running few of games .I had no idea if we need to install any hardware drivers.Till now i havent installed any hardware drivers. My question is if I had to install any drivers explicitly as it is a new installation.

With the forms help i had chked few things related to this. pls use it for ur reference
->
durga@durga-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C video
[sudo] password for durga:
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:29 memory:f4000000-f43fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:1800(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f4400000-f44fffff
->
system-adminsitration->hardware drivers is showing the o/p as No proprietory drivers are in use on this system .

->
durga@durga-laptop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)Thanks in advance

byStanderone
December 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
...being a noob by myself, i look at drivers as language interpreters between the existing hardware and programs that exist in a computer system. drivers are the go between the two, for proper execution of programs...hence drivers are prime necessities in every system.

durga11
December 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, Can you tell me what are all the drivers that are needed to be required on my system.

cascade9
December 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Nope, that doesnt need any proprietary drivers.

In general, Intel graphics driver is well integrated in Linux distributions so users won't worry about the driver setup.

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html

All the Intel graphics drivers (and chipset drivers) are kernel or free software based as far as I know.

noway2
December 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
A partial answer to your question: at every startup, the system hardware is scanned and the appropriate drivers are chosen and loaded. This allows you to do things (very unlike Windows) such as placing the HDD into an entirely different machine and it will run correctly.

You may also want to look at the log files, such as udev.log and kernel.log. The log files, though difficult for a newbie to interpret, will contain this information.